Anyone Have Any Cheap Red-Neck Plucker Ideas ?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by RAREROO, Nov 16, 2010.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    So I was surfing Youtube looking for home made plucker ideas and there were a lot that were simple rigs of PVC pipe with plastic fingers or 3 inch pieces of bungee strap and it would fit onto a hand drill or a small motor so I was thinking that I could probably rig something up like that and I wanted to see if any of you had any ideas to share. I would like to build it mostly out of old junk that I already have around here. And I was also thinking about a regular sized box fan motor, do you guys think that would work as a power source for a plucker ? I'm not trying to make a drum type plucker, just something simple that you could hold the bird up to it and pluck it that way. Also if any of you have suggestions on what could be used for he plucking fingers, that would be great, or if you could tell me where I could get some the actual type ones that they use in those factory made machines.

Thanks

2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    My box fans have very cheap motors on them and I'm afraid they would not last long as a plucker . I'm sure you've seen the 3/8" drill pluckers and since the drill can easily be detached and used again as a drill that seems the best route for me ; though if I were doing bunches the tub type or pemanent bench type might be better . I saw a YouTube of an old washing machine converted to a plucker , old washers often sell for very little at auctions around here ...................................

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
  4. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Haha Awesome I think you are right, you even got it straped down with that hanger iron, that stuff is awesome, we use it for just about anything we build around here. Is that a PVC cap you used for the wheel ? What are those fingers made out of ? Thanks!!!!

5. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    4" PVC cap. The straps are from a pair of 36" rubber bungies from Home Depot.

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks I'll go by and lookd for parts on my way home today. What all types of birds have you tried to pluck with it ? Have you ever tried to do a duck ? Thats what I will be needing it for right now but I'm sure ducks will be harder than with something like a chicken.

7. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Just CX so far. I'll be doing a turkey this weekend.

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Great, Please let us know how the turkeys work with it. I have Bourbon Reds now and I hope to hatch some White Hollands from Steve of Sands Poultry next spring and hopefully start raising some Hollands every year to butcher.

9. oberhasli01

oberhasli01 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    Quote:How are the straps held into the PVC cap?

10. litterbitt

litterbitt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    West Central GA
    Rareroo, I'm not sure Alapaha is, but I'm glad to share my newly-finished tub-style plucker with you. I'll even help process. Just depends on the day, I'm pretty much only available on weekends.

Liz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by