Anyone have any chickens and drakes living together?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lulu786, Jan 30, 2011.

1. lulu786

lulu786 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2011
    Hi there,
    Just wanted to know if anyone has ever had chickens plus 1 cockerel living together in a large coop with their ducks? (actually male ducks, 4 drakes).
    Many thanks!![​IMG]

2. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    I've had a drake with chickens, and two rooster. Unfortunatly, the drake was raised with the chickens so he was quite convinced he was a cockerel. He'd even quack especially loudly when the roos would crow. He then decided he wanted to mate, but he got very violent with the hens (didn't help one of the cockerels was aggressive with the hens) So I tried to get him a hen duck, but he didn't recognize her as his species and was afraid of her. He finally got taken by an owl one night.
    From this, I don't think it's advisable to raise a lone drake with chickens, at least through maturity.

3. lulu786

lulu786 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2011
    Thanks. Hopefully going to get some ducks for the drakes too. They were raised with ducks so will get some to keep them company. Today was a better day, the drakes, chickens and cockerel didn't fight and they all went inside the coop at nightfall together. [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Drakes mating hens can be a recipe for injury to the hens. The reproductive tract of hens is not constructed for the insertion of foreign objects. Roosters do not have penises, drakes do.

5. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    We've done that. They should be fine.

6. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I raised muscovy ducks (2 hens & 1 drake) together with my chickens and weeder geese (3 hens & 1 drake). Only problem I had with them trying to mate was the muscovy drake got a little over excited at times and would chase one of the female geese and then the drake goose would be chasing him. Ended up having a pile up of everyone trying to breed each other. Never had the problem with them bothering the chickens though an no one got hurt during the pile up. I have had problems of the drake goose trying to breed me before but that wasn't to bad of a problem. Just had to give him a good push with my foot till he stumbled back and wouldn't bother me for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by