Anyone have any fox or racoon detterring methods?

Abriana

Spicy Sugar Cookie
6 Years
Apr 26, 2017
The moon
Lots of foxes racoons where i live and i was wondering if there was something (plant maybe?) that i could have around that they like to stay away from? I haven't had any problems yet but a hawk, but i saw a fox last week and a dead raccoon by the side of the road. Very nervous. I have an electric fence which i heard has turned back black bears, but i'm still concerned. Any advice?

Lots of foxes racoons where i live and i was wondering if there was something (plant maybe?) that i could have around that they like to stay away from? I haven't had any problems yet but a hawk, but i saw a fox last week and a dead raccoon by the side of the road. Very nervous. I have an electric fence which i heard has turned back black bears, but i'm still concerned. Any advice?
Leave a radio on inside the coop or put a baby monitor in the coop.

Anyone know how to trap foxes and coyotes? I've used a havahart type trap for coons, which worked pretty well.
There are numerous videos on the WWW that will teach you how to pinch the toes of these poultry assassins. A strong coop is a big help but at the end of the day a combination of coop, runs, pens, fences, plus lowering all the fox or coyote's in your neighborhood body temperature to room temperature works best.

If you purchase a game camera, you can actually see whats roamin your area at night and that can help. I also have guardian dogs and they really deter anything from comin up too close. Like the idea of @centrarchid having traps set up already. Just be sure to close them during the day so you don't catch all the other curious cats, dogs, hens, roosters.
I run traps daily. Cats learn them. Only young chickens and hens finding trouble with good nest sites get caught and it is not daily.

This is what I use. fence 1.JPG fence 2.jpg

Keeps the varmints out and hard to believe, also keeps the birds in. One of the Wyandotts got zapped the other day and was running around the yard like something was stinging her........like a bumble bee or something. What got her was the fence. They have to learn what it is and where it is, but once they do, they stay away from it.......as do the varmints.

Back
Top Bottom