Anyone have any Gluten Free recipies ?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by OPIE, Jan 4, 2009.

1. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    My wife is Gluten intolerant and cant have any wheat products. I have all the different flour and stuff, but I cant figure out how to make bread with it as she cant have yeast either. If any of you have any good recipies I would greatly appreciate some info.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:OPIE,
    Without yeast I think you'll pretty much be restricted to batter breads etc that use baking powder or soda for raising. And/or flat unleavened breads. I don't have any recipes, but you should be able to do a search for gluten/ yeast free breads. Check out websites for gluten intolerant people as well as people who have celiac disease. You may want to contact the registered dietitians at your local hospital. Also there may be support groups in your area. finally you could check out the healthfood section of your grocery, at least there you could see the list of ingredients on commercial products and have fun experimenting.
    Good Luck
    Imp

3. jmk3482

jmk3482 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2007
    Troy, MO
    There is a show on Veria called The Sweet Truth. The girl on there does recipes for all sugar free, wheat free foods. I remember she did a gluten free bread show. Check her out.

http://www.kellykeough.com/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. jmk3482

jmk3482 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2007
    Troy, MO
  5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    My MIL can't have Gluten, I can try to call her tomorrow and get recommendations for you, I know she has some cookbooks, I'll get the names, I think she may get a magazine too.

6. OPIE

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Oh man thank you both for this and any information. It is tought trying to deal with this.

7. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    go to
    bobsredmill.com

products and recipes that are (in my opinion) the best out there.

8. OPIE

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Thanks French hen , We actualy have alot of there products in the house.

9. TexGardenGirl

TexGardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    northeast of Dallas
    It is possible to do yeast breads gluten-free, although I haven't personally done it yet. It is difficult because the gluten is what holds all the little air bubbles together with a flexible yet strong structure, and removing all that gluten takes away a lot of the potential for fluffiness. So I don't know if you could ever get a really nice sandwich bread - tough enough to take some spreading and hold all the ingredients in yet soft enough to bite through easily.
    Here is a site with lots of recipes of all kinds, mostly gluten-free, and many also have options to make them dairy free, or nut free, etc, since many people with gluten problems also develop other food allergies. There is a great section with advice on general baking tips - which flours give what kind of consistency, etc. http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/01/cooking-baking-gluten-free-tips-for.html
    Pamela's
    baking mix makes wonderful pancakes. I usually use Bob's Red Mill all-purpose GF flour for things like breading vegetables, dredging meat before browning, etc. For gravies & sauces, I always loved the flavor of white wheat flour, but now I find good ol' cornstarch is great.

If you give up on making sandwich bread, the best I've found is made by Whole Foods (and therefore only available at their stores) - they have 3-4 flavors, the only ones I ever get are Sandwich Bread and Cinnamon Raisin. The sandwich bread tastes great, like a good homemade white bread, and makes great sandwiches when toasted. Be aware that it will crumble apart if not toasted though, and even toasted will still be more fragile than regular bread. (Hey, here's a thought - when you start baking your own, be sure to try toasting if you get one that's tasy but too crumbly fresh and see if that helps.) But after years of not eating a single sandwich, it was really nice to find something that works pretty well! Whole Foods also makes other GF baked goods - pies, brownies, cakes, pizza crust, cookies, all in their dedicated GF bakery on the east coast (I think in NC but I'm not positive) . They're in the frozen section of Whole Foods. They are pricey, so if you can figure out how to do it at home it'll be worth it, but it is really nice to have the option out there.

10. TexGardenGirl

TexGardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    northeast of Dallas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by