1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Anyone have any good goat recipes?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by AinaWGSD, Jul 23, 2010.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    This year the guy I like to buy lamb brats from at our local farmer's market has goat. I've never had goat before, but I'd really like to try it. Since I know there are some BYC'ers who raise goats for meat I figured I'd check here to see if anyone has any good recipes I could start with.

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Crowing

Apr 4, 2010
    I would start with a basic stew from what I have heard. I have not tried it though before.

[​IMG]

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    A friend gave me some ground goat and a recipe for "Baked Steak" - basically a meatloaf you spread thin in a cookie sheet then serve with a mushroom gravy.
    I can't say I noticed the taste was much different from beef cooked the same way.

I have grilled lamb ribs and they are tasty if a lot of (eating) work for so little meat.
    I imagine goat ribs would be the same.

I also like to make veal breast - baked like for pot roast.
    If you can get a similar cut of goat that might work.

Ask the seller - they usually know how to cook their product.

4. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    I don't have a specific recipe for goat off hand, but it holds up to lots of spice really well. Perfect match for Morracan (crud, sp?) flavors, or strong traditional dishes from Mexico. It is good. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by