Anyone have any idea what breed this bantam might be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hillbillychick7, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Hillbillychick7

Hillbillychick7 New Egg

Apr 14, 2016
    West Virginia
    It might be hard to tell right now. This is one of the chicks I got from the Purebred Bantam Assorted chicks from Cackle Hatchery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    It looks like it maybe a d'Uccle, is it just me or does it have "puffy" cheeks?

3. Hillbillychick7

Hillbillychick7 New Egg

Apr 14, 2016
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the welcome! I do think he/she does have puffy cheeks. It is a really fuzzy chick.

4. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    The body shape and color makes the chick look like a partridge cochin to me.

5. Hillbillychick7

Hillbillychick7 New Egg

Apr 14, 2016
    West Virginia
    I think you might be right. I looked up the chicks and they look a lot like my chick.

6. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    The feather pattern is right. I've got a lot of cochins, and currently have one hen and two roos that are partridge colored- they looked a lot like that as babies. I should note though- a little less likely but very similar in coloring are gold laced cochin chicks. You should be able to tell as the wing feathers come in- if they appear sort of red-and-black horizontal stripes, it's a partridge. If the come in with black edges with a golden color in the center of the feather, you have a gold lace. My bet would be partridge, but cackle does carry both.

7. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I had several bantam cochin chicks that looked like that from a farm store who uses Cackle. They turned out to be partridge.

8. Hillbillychick7

Hillbillychick7 New Egg

Apr 14, 2016
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the help. I am pretty sure you all are right most likely a Partridge. But I will be sure to check and see what the wing pattern looks like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by