Anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melody052008, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Melody052008

Melody052008 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Norwalk, Iowa
    I just received this rooster from Florida. He is a Blue Jersey Giant. First of all, he came from Florida to Iowa, which now I feel bad for it's so darn cold here. Since I noticed a couple things when I got him, I have asked this vet about them, had me treat the bird with a couple different things just in case a few months ago (which is when I got him), seems better but still shakes a lot. He seems normal, eating good, drinking, poop looks normal, I just can't figure out if this bird is really cold or something could be wrong. Do chickens shake like this when cold??
    Maybe this breed can't adjust to cold?? I'm trying to fine out. I just don't know what to do. I have a heat lamp and he seems to really like it.
    Thank you.

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens DO shiver when they're cold. I think Jersey Giants are supposed to be fairly cold-tolerant, but that may have been too sudden a change, and he's probably pretty stressed from the trip and the new situation. Heat lamp sounds like a good idea!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe stress? idk but when I was worming my chickens they were shaking and that was stress, if he's eating and his poo looks normal maybe he just doesn't like the cold. Hope he's okay and soon gets use to it it's just beginning..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. Melody052008

Melody052008 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Norwalk, Iowa
    thank you both!! I worry alot any way and chickens are so hard to figure out. he is so cool. I'm sure he'd rather go back to Florida.
    I think it had to be hard on him too in that box, he was just so big and cramped up. My hens don't shake so I just never seen one act cold.
    I've had him now for almost 4 months so I wouldn't think he'd be stressed anymore. We'll see.
    Thanks for responding! Melody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by