Anyone have any of these breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stone_family3, Oct 30, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Do you have pics? What are their personalities like? I'm just a backyard keeper looking for some variety.

-rumpless araucana
    -cubalaya chickens
    -Dorking chickens
    -Egyptian Fayoumi
    -Russian Orloff
    -Welsummer
    -Birchen Marans

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    mypetchicken.com has some great descriptions and pics.

3. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Feathersite is another good resource.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Here's my birchen Marans [​IMG]

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I lost my Birchen Marans a while back, but he was a very sweet roo. Very calm and loved people.

I have LF and bantam Wellies. The bantams are actually not as personable as the LF. They are beautiful and have almost the same personality of my Marans. As a matter of fact I need a Wellie roo because the pullets are out with Maranas and AMs. Very quiet birds. Sometimes I get nervous and have to look umder bushes to even find them. They are one of my quietest breeds. I also have Cubalaya. Very nice birds. I love them and I'll be getting more in the next few weeks. They get a long well with my Games and with my dual purpose birds. I don;t think you will be disappointed in them. My girls are very quiet and calm. Make sure you get them from a good breeder. Matter of fact I would get all of these breed from a breeder and not a hatchery. They are big and some of the ones on your list need to be kept as pure as possible, and that isn't going to happen with hatchery birds. If you're going to spend the money to have them I think you'd be happier to have breeder stock so you know you actually have what you want and don't form an opinion later on something that may not fit the breed profile.

BTW I would take any one of the breeds you have listed. They are all great breeds.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    My Welsummer roo [​IMG]

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone, I am definately looking at breeders instead of hatchery stock. I'm not looking to breed them just enjoy them so I only want one of each breed to start with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by