Anyone have Bats for Pets??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kuntrygirl, Oct 30, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Just checking to see if anyone has a bat or bats for pets. If so, what do they eat and how do you house them? I think they are so cute. [​IMG]

If you have any bat pics, please post them.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

3. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    No but I am going to build some bat houses for the yard. I have some bat pics from the zoo but they are on my computer and I am at work.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Ooooooooooooooooooooo really??? Oh, I can't wait to see those houses. And please post pics of the bats from the zoo. I would love to see them. I am really thinking about getting some bats but I am clueless on where to get them. Is it against the law to have bats as pets? [​IMG]

5. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I don't know about how legal as pets, that probably is state region dependent. If you google bat houses there are tons of plans online for simple to elaborate construction. It is my understanding if you make a suitable house and locate it correctly they (wild ones) will find it and they eat huge amounts of insects. I would think it would actually be cruel to keep one inside and doubt you could feed it enough and enough variety of insects to keep it healthy, but if you put a home or two up where you could watch you could see them leave at dusk or return at dawn. You may even be able in interact when they come out if you had tasty treats for them?

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Oh ok. A bat house does sound fun to attract them. Is it true that they like to eat fruit as well?

7. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:Some varieties of bats yes. Research the most common in your area and what they eat that way you will know what to attract them with.

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Some varieties of bats yes. Research the most common in your area and what they eat that way you will know what to attract them with.

Ok. I will look up South Louisiana bats and see what I come up with. I would love to set up bat houses and see them drop by. Thanks for the information. And post those pics whenever you get a chance.

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] Just be sure your pet bat doesn't have rabies...

10. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    I saw on one of the Discovery channels, a person who had a bat as a pet. The "expert" the show had on to discuss this said that bats do not make good pets. I don't remember the reasons though. He did mention that any bat you could catch as a pet, is sick and possible rabid. That part I do remember! I love the bat houses. We have lots of bats where I live. Should I also mention, I love bats, the FURTHER away from me!! Bats are so good for pest control, they eat alot of bugs. I just do not want them closer that 20' from me!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by