Anyone have black minorca's???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jarodw45, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    I have always liked them since I was a youngster so I bought some chicks (three hens and one roo) about 6 weeks ago from Ideal. They are doing very well and are very friendly unlike what I have read about them being flighty and avoiding people... If anyone has any thoughts or pics of them I would love to see 'em! Btw I am new to the forums but not new to chickens, I have read for a long time but just decided to register and I am glad I did there seems to be so many freindly folks on here willing to help out![​IMG]

2. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    There are some good Minorcas around but you have to look for them from Breeders.The hatchery Minorcas do not have the size or correct type.Minorcas are very big and powerful birds,just look at the called for Standard weights.They also need a long time to fully mature(10-12 months to reach full size and full comb size).Two things to watch, in chicks select the fast feathering males for future breeders,you do not want the slow feather gene if you can avoid it.Another point is very large egg size,breed from hens and only set eggs that weigh/grade extra large. I keep a few Minorcas,but main breed Leghorns.It is great to have both to really compare the differences,they are very different when bred along proper lines.

1 person likes this.
  3. jarodw45

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks so much for your input! Yes I know that the hatchery birds are bred for quantity and not quality but I really had no other source or at least that I knew of... I do want the extra large eggs but after I ordered I was reading more on ideals site and I believe it says the eggs are medium sized... I don't know we will just have to wait see. I also got some California whites with them but they have no black flecks so I'm thinking they may have sent the ideal 236's.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  4. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I have some G.S. old blood Black Minorca's Above Poster is correct there definatly bigger then Hatchery stock and very hard to find breeders mine came from Portland oregan. i will get some Pics Up later.

5. jarodw45

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    I'd love to see 'em! And you are definitely right in saying they are hard to find because I looked for a long time before I decided to order from ideal... while I am not showing I just love the minorcas and I wanted those extra large eggs!

6. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Here is my Hen and a few Pullets her off spring there still young But laying well .[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    sorry for bad pics they didn't want to stand still.

7. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    [​IMG][/img]Here is my male as a 7 1/2 cockerel ,he is now about 10 lbs and long and strong,a real handful to handle.[​IMG][/img].A nice bird from the 60's. Mr.Oscar Winters had a good strain in Oregon years ago.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  8. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Wow star rooster. Sadly I am without one now and can't even seem to find another one.

9. jarodw45

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks for posting the pics the hens look great! That roo is gorgeous! I hope mine look half that good.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Dan I gave up on mine after the harsh winters and not being able to keep my males indoors all winter...but you are making me want to try it again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by