Anyone have donkeys?

TherryChicken

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
del valle, tx
Thinking about possibly getting a donkey. Something keeps spooking our horses and mine keeps getting injured. Anyone have advice on donkeys? Anything is appreciated!

I have 3 BLM burros. They are pretty awesome. They get fat on air I think, lol. I don't keep them in with the goats, because the male likes to chase them. But when were pasturing my BIL's cattle, they ran with them really well. They chase off coyotes and dogs so far that I've seen with my own eyes. I can't imagine not having them!

I have 3 BLM burros. They are pretty awesome. They get fat on air I think, lol. I don't keep them in with the goats, because the male likes to chase them. But when were pasturing my BIL's cattle, they ran with them really well. They chase off coyotes and dogs so far that I've seen with my own eyes. I can't imagine not having them!  

That's great! Sadly I thought coyotes was the issue we were having, but turned out to be a 15hh stallion :/

I have 2 Jerusalem Jennies that I got when they were each 6 months old - they are half sisters. I have had them 3 years and I cannot imagine my life without them. We have poultry and a lot of coyotes in the area. I have not lost a single chicken to coyotes since the donkeys joined our family. They are super sweet - VERY easy to care for - they graze and I supplement with hay and give them some sweet feed as a added treat. I have used horse treats - but carrots work just as well. I had a farrier come out once to check on their feet, but he showed me how to trim them and file them - just like a horse - but you do not need shoes. They are not aggressive towards our other animals - dogs, cats, geese, rabbits. But - remember they can live a long time - longer than horses - so be sure to make arrangements for their future. I put them in my will....no joke! They are social animals and do better with other livestock - horses, cattle or donkeys. My neighbor bought 1 from the same man I got mine from and she said hers was not very friendly as they had it in a pasture all by itself. When they put it in with their cattle it became very friendly - and would come when you call. I have been approached about mating them - they carry for about a year. Have not decided whether I am ready to add that to my plate yet. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom