Anyone have expeirience with Buff Rocks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickerdoodle, Jan 4, 2010.

1. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I really am enamored with the Plymouth Rocks [​IMG] I've met and read about. Since I am starting with only a small flock and I want a few different colored birds I wondered about Buff Rocks. I really like the buff color but do not want a Buff Orpington. Does anyone know if they lay as well as the Barred? Are they as friendly? I would love to hear your experiences!

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    good luck trying to find anyone with experience because i want them but can find any sq so im moving on but when i was on my hunt i couldnt find anyone with them i found a few hope they find your thread!

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have one she lays super but she's the Queen of the entire flock of over 150 Shabby just runs the show but she's not mean in any way.She's one of the first to come running when she sees you but it's to be nosy and on top of the situation not for a pat or snuggles(try catching her some time) However some of the Barred Rocks have the same personality. I did get lucky and she's a very nice quality..and why she's the only one I have hatched several and sold them because they don't measure up...and I don't even show. I do plan on getting some later this Spring from some SQ birds..I have found them now just patience GRR I don't like waiting. We have a beautiful Rock collection and if your only going to have a small flock I highly recommend one for yourself.[​IMG]
    She is a much nicer better layer than the one BO here..will NOT get a second one of those..she lays the smallest egg here...it's not small but my others have set the standard high!

4. ole red

ole red Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    poplar grove, ar.
    bought 25 straight run buff rock, from a hatchery last year, i really wanted em.

they were the most ill shaped things i've ever had, pretty sure it wasn't the breeds fault, can't believe a well known hatchery would send out that low class of a chick.

they were bad enough when i butchered the roosters, i went on and killed the pullets also.

again, prolly more the hatcheries fault, than the breed.

5. chickerdoodle

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Could you tell me the hatchery's name--PM if you prefer! Thanks!

6. chickerdoodle

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Would you mind telling me where you got her and the eggs from? PM if you prefer. Thanks a bunch!!

7. chickerdoodle

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:ME TOO!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by