Anyone have experience candling Welsummer eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blueberrychickens, Mar 17, 2012.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I set 25 Welsummer eggs on 3/10, today is day 8. I tried to candle the eggs tonight, but I can't tell what Im seeing. I can see a darker area in some eggs, I see no veining. In only 2 eggs I can see a dark spot floating around & moving (kinda weird!) Is it common to not see veining in these dark shelled eggs????
    Please tell me these are not a bunch of dud eggs! I drove almost 6 hrs to get them!!
    Any one have experience w/ Welsummer eggs???

2. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    I can tell you from experience I have a really hard time candling these when I run them. I have just taken to putting them all in the hatcher at day 18 and just seeing what happens. Wished I had a better answer but I just can't see inside them.

Good Luck

3. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    X 2 on the difficulty of candeling welsummer eggs, have you tried an LED flashlight in a room with no light what so ever ? You can see a little better with an led, but still very difficult. I agree with the other reply on just putting them out on the wire on day 18 and waiting to see what hatches.

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I waited until day 18 to candle in a dark room. You can tell the clear ones by then. At that point just put all the dark looking ones in lockdown and remove the clear ones.

5. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    ok, that makes me feel better, I guess we'll just have to go w/ the wait & see approach.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by