Anyone have experience putting a chick under a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldencomets6, Aug 11, 2013.

1. goldencomets6

goldencomets6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    Hi there .. I hope this is the right place to post this question

I currently had a bad hatch in my incubator.. only one chick hatched and another one is working its way out but after what happened to the others I'm not so sure that it will make it. The one chick that hatched just peeps and peeps it's so lonely.

Anyway last night when I went to shut the chickens in I saw that my silkie hen was broody once again. She is a determined broody.. hard to break! I've never let her hatch eggs though. My question is.. could I put the chick under her and let her raise it? She's in a coop with just her and a silkie rooster and he is pretty gentle. Do roosters usually leave the chicks be or should I be worried that he would harm it?

Any advice would be appreciated .. Thank you :)

2. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Getting some other lil chicks would be best, but I personally, would totally attempt slipping her under my broody (i have a hen that mothers everything lol) but keep a very close eye on all 3 while they make contact (even by sight). I'd slip this chick in (trade with an egg if she's sitting) and wait. At night is better I've read, but I'd wanna be there for each bird's meeting so with a full broody I may try to do it in the wee hours of dawn. I personally would separate my roo also, but that may not be necessary.
    Babying the heck outta the lone chick as a last resort (very very time consuming lol they're needy for cuddles all the time and poop-all the time lol)

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How long ago did the chick hatch? I don't think you have to worry about a silkie, they will mother anything. Slip the chick under her at night. Check on them frequently, but let her do her thing. As for the rooster, my roosters have always been very protective of the babies. I have had 8 broodies this year (all with babies) and not a single problem with my roosters.

4. goldencomets6

goldencomets6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    The chick hatched 3 days ago. I actually just had another hatch!! :) So I may let this one get stronger and put them out together in a day or two. Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by