Anyone have experience with a soldering iron?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by goochgirl, Dec 2, 2011.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    I bought a new soldering iron I needed for a class, and I wanted to practice a little before I went. Well, it worked great until I wiped it off with a wet towel and ran to home depot to get a clamp to hold my work. I came home, plugged it in, and the dern thing wouldn't hold the solder! It just dripped off. Then, it stopped melting it all together. Um... any experienced stained glass artists or plumbers have any ideas???

2. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    I may be wrong (not unusual for me [​IMG] ) but from what I remember when I worked at a factory making electronic parts....you should use the soldering iron to heat the parts that the solder is going to go on and then touch the solder to the parts..not the iron itself...yes?
    Oh and just realised I have posted this under DD's name Squishy...anyways Chooksinchoppers here [​IMG]

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Flux, and as mentioned earlier---heat the work, not the solder, let the solder flow into the work. I've have good luck with tinning the work parts first then heat and flow together. (worked on my radiator patch)

4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:Flux, and as mentioned earlier---heat the work, not the solder, let the solder flow into the work. I've have good luck with tinning the work parts first then heat and flow together. (worked on my radiator patch)

You mean I was right???? [​IMG] Oh except for not calling it flux...oh well it was a lonnnnngg time ago LOL What is tinning though?
    I did just recently buy a soldering iron but not for it's intended purpose.....they melt neat holes in plastic tubs when you dont have a drill [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    If you solder wont stick buy solder flux. It comes in a tin. put the flux on the item to be soldered heat the flux ( it will smoke so watch your eyes) then melt the solder on. With the flux solder will stick to most anything.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Clean it with a piece of fine sandpaper

7. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    I did put flux on the copper tape that I put the solder on. Am I supposed to put flux on the iron tip as well? Is that why the solder stopped sticking to the tip? I wiped off the flux? I finally broke down and showed my DH what I was making (for his sisters). He loves the idea, but agrees with me; the trial piece looks lousy.

8. littlefork

littlefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I do stained glass as a hobby. If the tip is dirty it will not hold solder, use a damp sponge to wipe the tip off as you work. Do not use the flux on the soldering iron only on what you are soldering. You can use fine sandpaper to sand the tip but be gentle, if you are too rough you can ruin the tip (ask me how I know this).

9. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I do stained glass. You have to make sure that the flux is on the copper, then heating the place you want to attach the soldering material to works smartest. Also, if this is the first project, check the type of soldering you are using against the heat of the soldering gun. There should be a gauge to adjust. And if the room you are doing this in is cold, or the project area or air is cold, it will cool down faster, and less likely to stick strongly. Also, if you are sanding the edges of the glass, (or not), or using an oiled glass cutter, it is advisable to wash each peice of glass with dish detergent, make sure it they are completly rinsed clean and dried thoroughly before putting the copper on. When I put the flex on, I use a brush, and make sure that all the copper and even overlapping to the glass, the flux is on. If the solder still isn't sticking, you can put more flex on the copper. Make absolute sure when you are using these products that you have lots of ventalation!

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Gosh, there's a whole lot more going on in this thread than wondering if anybody has experience using a soldering iron!

I was just gonna reply: Yes, but it's a not a good one.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by