Anyone have experience with McMurray Hatchery?

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
I have owned chickens for quite some time now, and recently decided it was time to expand my flock of 8 chickens, (5 after 3 passed away). I recently, about 2 months ago, got 9 chicks from a breeder near me and in January I ordered 17 chicks from McMurray Hatchery. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it, but I thought I’d start this thread to get a bit more info on this hatchery.
Thanks for reading,
ChickenWhisperer101

I ordered 17 this year, including the free chick. I lost 2 (one was runty* and I'm surprised it lasted longer than the one I lost to shipping) and one has a bad foot but is otherwise healthy.

They're usually known for very nice birds and my standards I got really are quite large. Larger than standards from other he placed I ordered. The polish had wonderful crest poofs on arrival.

20210407_083828.jpg

I ordered 17 this year, including the free chick. I lost 2 (one was runty* and I'm surprised it lasted longer than the one I lost to shipping) and one has a bad foot but is otherwise healthy.

They're usually known for very nice birds and my standards I got really are quite large. Larger than standards from other he placed I ordered. The polish had wonderful crest poofs on arrival.

View attachment 2615038
Cute, glad to hear some positive feedback. How far did you’re chicks have to ship? Thanks for the response.

I have always ordered from Ideal Poultry. They have never missexed a bird on me and I have yet to lose a chick they sent to me. whomever you order from if you already have some birds stick day old chicks under a boody hen she will here the peep peep peep and think her eggs hatached and go into mother mode. Usually works but not always so have a brooder ready

I have always ordered from Ideal Poultry. They have never missexed a bird on me and I have yet to lose a chick they sent to me. whomever you order from if you already have some birds stick day old chicks under a boody hen she will here the peep peep peep and think her eggs hatached and go into mother mode. Usually works but not always so have a brooder ready
I won’t have any broodies because my golden comets will not go broody, nor my Plymouth Rocks. Also my pullets are way to young to be broody. :)
I’ll just brood them

I've ordered from there several times, and have always been very satisfied with the chickens. They have been healthy and what they were supposed to be. It was rare to loose one from there. We did have a problem once when our order arrived at the post office over an Easter Sunday. We were under the impression that they would not be arriving until after the holiday. Just happened to be that someone who worked for the post office came in that day and saw the box of baby chickens and called us. He was pretty concerned about as they likely would not have survived much longer. When I got them home and started taking them out of the shipping box, it was literally like pulling apart biscuits from a can, they were cold and had been huddled together so close. Fortunately they all survived.
I usually ordered predominately white leghorns from there, I've always thought they had good quality birds

Back
Top Bottom