anyone have exploding eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bisqit&Gravy, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    My silkies have been sitting on eggs outside. All was going well until crazy AL hit single digit temps for a few days. Chickens were hatching but dying. Two that already hatched are still outside and doing great!! The temps have been going up and go down but they have heat in their house. The mommas are taking great care of them and they have gotten bigger.

Anway, Saturday I got the bator ready and brought the rest in. Sunday, I get up to check and the smell when I opened the door would knock ya down. One egg exploded!!! It takes alot of animal stuff to make me sick after 15 yrs of being a vet tech but I swear I thought I was gonna loose it. I cleaned it up gagging. Then Monday another exploded...YUCK!!!! I believe that has got to be the nastiest thing ever with half shells stuck to the top and the rest splattered everywhere!!!! Then it's all cooked to the heating element...UGH!!!

The eggs that exploded had feathers in them and goo. Could this be from where the hens kept moving them?

Today when I got home the remaining 6 eggs are chirping but the smell was just horrible. I carefully moved them all to the brooder so I could clean that bator out. It smells better and all eggs are back in there chirping.

If they hatch successfully they will make 8 out of 18.

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I had one to bust under one of my broody hens it was stuck to her I had to pull it off her feathers. Oh and WOW the smell was enough to knock you off your feet and the bed thing is it takes forever to get the smell out of your nose.

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] So glad I opened and read this thread! [​IMG]

4. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Yep I agree!!! I had one explode under the hen too but tell ya what it's way worse in the incubator!!! Although, the hen tried to make it worse by trying to eat it...UGH!!!

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    LOL, Oh id say it was alot worse in a incubator ..UGHHHH [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by