Anyone have Flying Squirrels?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by duckncover, Apr 23, 2009.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I want one...lol.

2. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Used to, when I was young. My dad was a real creep who teased the poor thing, so while he loved the rest of the family every time he'd see dad he'd turn into a vampire squirrel, so dad forced Mom to get rid of him. Should have gotten rid of dad, instead, because that squirrel was a real darling, and much more enjoyable than sugar gliders, IMO.

We did make one mistake, in that we built him a truly epic cage. He never wanted to leave it because it was filled with so much fun stuff. I'm glad he loved it, but it would have been nice if he had been just a little more interested in the world outside his cage.

3. Flying squirrel or Sugar glider? I have a Sugar glider, he is neato [​IMG]

4. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    southern flying squirrels aren't sugar gliders! Gliders are marsupials and squirrels are well...rodents

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    My dad has flying squirrels.

6. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    A few years I woke up to one snuggled up with me in bed. Best I could figure is it came down the chimney. It was not easy to catch, but we finally did and let it go. I didn't think we had flying squirrels here, but I know we had one lol.

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    They do not make good pets! My dad has a big cage of like 20 maybe. He started out by taking them in from my uncle who had rescued several adults and they started breeding. We took one when it was a baby and it lived in my husbands pocket. He took her to work and would put acorns and such in his pocket for her. She would peep out, crawl around on him, and then back into the pocket. We named her Pocket too. LOL It fit her well. But once they start to mature into an adult their wild instincts kick in and completly over-ride your pet. We finally took her back to the others because we could not make a pet out of her and it didn't seem fair when she wanted to be free. His squirrel cage is open and they can come and go as they please. Also, you have to have a liscense to own a wild animal.

8. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Breeders breed and sell them as pets here, no need for a license. They make wonderful and friendly pets.

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:IDK...Maybe because these were from wild bred squirrels? I will say I haven't ever seen 'farm bred' ones but all the ones we have have been great pets as babies but once adults, they basically turn back wild. Even my dad has tried to make a few pets and no sucess. We have raised lots of grey squirrels and they make good pets.

Here you have to have liscense.

10. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    I don't know . . . we had him for over two years before dad kicked him out, so to speak. Mom was looking at a couple breeders when she bought him, but they were a bit harder to find than sugar glider breeders. This was over 10 years ago, so it's possible they're no longer available even here without a license . . . change in laws and whatnot. Whatever the case, there's several of them that live in our front tree that we only see in winter. They make adorable noises and drive my terriers crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by