Anyone have good non-dairy recipes for cakes or puddings?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cackle, Oct 4, 2008.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I can't eat dairy other than a little butter. So I would love to have some tried and true non-dairy recipes. I can use rice milk or a little soy. I am not suppose to have a lot of soy because of past health issues.

I tried making coconut pudding with coconut milk but it got kind of nasty when it set-up in the fridge.

I don't really care for chocolate... I know I am a weird one.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

You are not a weird one, if you don't like chocolate good for you!!!

Sometimes people with dairy problems can get away with scalding 1% milk, if you are severly allergic, don't try this.

At our local organics store, they have powdered "milk" substitues. With the powdered 'buttermilk' (only example of what I do) I use it for buscuit, cake, cookie, brownie mixes to give as christmas presents. All my family does is add eggs and water.

(for anyone reading this I will blend in shortning- not oil and with dry ingredients only, whip or blend ingredients together until fine and combined.)

Also, fruit crisps such as apple crisp or even fruits - I believe its a cake mix, 2 cans of fruit, such as cherry pie filling and a can of crushed pineapple, just dump it all onto a cake mix in a 9x13 cake pan, toss it in the oven and it comes out wonderful. Also, weight watchers reccomends a cake mix with a can of diet soda (your choice) mix and bake in a 9x13 pan.
    Tapioca can be made with fruit juices, soy milks, or egg custards can be made using milk aternatives.
    Good luck and I'm sure other folks have great ideas too. (I'm sure your aware, but check out cake mixes for dairy too)

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, lets bump you up towards the list so to get some attention for your question. I hope that I helped you out a little.
    Take care!!!! [​IMG]

4. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    I've been searching sponge cakes today..They could probably be done with something besides dairy..

And they use lots of eggs!

My roomate was just diagnosed with diabetes (he hadnt seen a doc in over 20 years) So I've been trying to find a few sweets that he can eat..

I'm gonna try all egg whites, 1/2 splenda and half sugar..I understand that doesnt leave the aftertaste [​IMG]

As for the yolks!!
    I get custard [​IMG]

5. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks Spook,

Dairy for me triggers migraines. And with the weather like it is combined with sinuses I have been having a hard time. If I am real careful and it has been a long time since I had a migraine I can have a little dairy. But I find I am like a kid if I try once I push it until my head explodes.
    I am also lactose intolerant. So dairy is kind of give me a double whammy. As long as I limit what a eat to a few items like I will eat a piece of cornbread. But I could not pudding.

I do make fruit desserts from time to time but sometimes you just need a good rice or banana pudding. And mirecipes maybe I will have to try a rice milk egg custard.... yum

Than you both.

Sorry I did not reply earlier I have 4 grandkids here between 1 and 6.......[​IMG]

just kidding I love them [​IMG]

6. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I've bought my daughter lemon meringue pudding before, from the baking aisle. It's the prepared kind... in the individual cups. I think it was by Hunts? Not sure the brand? But there was no dairy in it.
    It came as a 4 pack.
    HTH

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Here is my favorite vegan cup cake recipe, you can make cake out of it you'd like, although I've found they make fluffier cupcake then they do cake, I'm not sure why.

makes 22 cupcakes

1 TB apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ scant cups plain soymilk (or rice milk or almond milk)
    2 1/8 cups flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    ½ tsp. baking soda
    ½ tsp. kosher salt
    1 1/8 cups sugar
    ½ cup oil
    1 ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
    ½ tsp. coconut extract

Preheat the oven to 350º. Spray 22 muffin cups with nonstick spray or line with paper cupcake liners (I like to spray the inside of the muffin papers with nonstick spray to help the cupcakes release). Set aside.

Place the apple cider vinegar in the bottom of a liquid measuring cup and fill the cup with soymilk to equal 1 ½ cups. Stir well and set aside (the mixture will curdle).

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another mixing bowl whisk together the soymilk mixture, canola oil, vanilla, and coconut extract. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth using a hand-held mixer, stopping once to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Fill each muffin cup with ¼ cup of batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.

Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes from the pan and place on a wire rack. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.

8. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    if you visit vegweb.com they have alot of non dairy recipes with reviews and suggestions and photos, it's a great website.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by