Anyone have Heelers/Agility/Fly Ball

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MagsC, Nov 14, 2009.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    We are getting a male red heeler pup after Thanksgiving. I had two in the past (long ago) when we lived in Texas, they were wonderful dogs.(As long as they had a job and were kept busy!)
    I am hoping to use him in agility or fly ball, something like that.
    I would like to hear other peoples experiences, advice with heelers....?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I went ahead and revised this post. Though I would love some heeler (also known as australian cattle dog) stories from owners, I would also like to know what peoples experiences are in participating in agility and flyball?
    I think a heeler would be great at this...

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
  4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I have my Blue Heeler pup Isabella who is in obedience right now getting ready to go into her agility training. I'm hoping she keeps going the way she is, she's at the top of her class. I made her a 12 foot agility ladder to practice her tracking with and a couple of adjustable jumps to grow with her. I made them both from PVC pipe for very cheap!
    Here is my Bella with her playdate Pepper:
    [​IMG]

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am researching it, I havent done anything like that before.
    Ginja is gorgeous!!!! [​IMG]
    Thats a great idea to make the ladder and jumps. "Tom" (I didnt name him,lol) is a red heeler pup, it should be interesting working with him. Is it really fast paced?(I ask that because of some health concerns with keeping up.)
    Though if I absolutely cant, my daughter is wanting to participate too. She also might have him as her 4H dog.(if she doesnt take one of her dachshunds.)

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It is VERY fast paced but if you have your dog well trained to work at a distance you don't have to run as much as others do.

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Okay, thank you![​IMG]
    Oh and Isabella is beautiful too!!!!!
    I am going to give it a try, I think with both of us doing it we can accomplish anything we set out to do.[​IMG] LOL, even if it means me cheering her on as a spectator.
    The heelers we had were great watchdogs and didnt let anyone out of their car unless we said it was okay. They also were good with our birds though it took training.

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Bella has learned to herd the ducks and chickens so she takes commands well and she's still just a baby, she'll be 8 months this month or maybe just 7,,,

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Tom is going to be 8 weeks the weekend after Thanksgiving (when we pick him up).
    I am already thinking of lots of interactive toys and activities with us so he doesnt become a bored pup. A bored pup is a destructive one! [​IMG]

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    What commands did you teach Bella to herd the ducks and chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by