Anyone have house chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fullhouse, May 21, 2008.

1. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    DH is picking up my sussex and deleware girls for me on the way home tonight and I guess the farmer has some polish frizzle chicks too. I would love to have 2 of them but we have big girls out there, not sure they would do well and I don't feel like building another coop. Does anyone keep chickens in the house full time really? He thinks I am nuts for even considering house chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well. I started out that way, but since we can now put up a coop, I think they will be moving out soon [​IMG]

3. 2fast4u

2fast4u Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    i keep my chicks in the house untill they come off the light

4. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:I am thinking long term. All our hens are big breeds. I don't know that the 18 hens would welcome two funky little polish frizzles at any point.

5. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd love to have a house chicken but mom said "No way! I will not have a grown chicken in the house." :| But there are some other people on here who do. Hopefully they'll come and post.

BTW, congrats on your new chicks! [​IMG]

6. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:That's where being "the mom" makes life good. [​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I guess I should add..... Charli turned out to be a HE so I think it is best if he moves out to the coop with a few girls of his own [​IMG] I'll probably move Roxie out with him as they are very close. Plus, I read about sunlight deficiency causeing weak bones in birds... and I just want them to be healthy. If I put them out in my yard, my jerk neighbor will know exactly what they are and turn me in [​IMG] So, I think I may get some pigeons instead [​IMG] To give me a bird fix at home [​IMG] LMAO

Der... forgot to add... having them in the house isn't a big deal. They pretty much stay put. They like to wander the kitchen and diningroom... which have linoleum and wood... so cleanup is a breeze. I let them out when DH is at work and kids are at school. Then before DH and kids roll in, I put them up, wipe up the splort and sweep the floors. Takes all of 5 mins. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  8. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay I have to say it: WHat about the poo?!!

9. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Here's my house chicken "Boots". She's a rescue and very small, so I can't put her with my others, they all go after her.
    She stays in a big dog cage when I'm not home and at night.
    I let her outside a few hours a day to play and after dark she comes in and sits on the coffee table or my desk depending on what I'm doing. The only time she is a pain is when you're trying to eat, she will march right up and take whatever she wants. (She LOVES broccoli and Rice Cheks) So I try to eat while she's outside.
    [​IMG]

10. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I have two house chickens which are inside all the time. They are two bantam SF's. I intended to put them in with my flock of standard laying hens but they are way too docile. It was October and way to late to start a coop. So we made a indoor coop, which is a box ( 2.5 ft x 5 ft ) with a hinged lid and hardware cloth on one side and top for light.
    When I get home they get let out and get their treat in the kitchen. After about an hour or two they want back in their coop. Around 7 to 8 they come back out again and we watch TV together and share an orange. Clean up is not that bad, but some days they poop more than others [​IMG].
    I have got a small outdoor coop for summer planned using a Lowe's playhouse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by