Anyone have kids or knows kids or has went to a Montessori school?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SophieLain127, May 4, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I want to homeschool but DH isn't on board yet. So I'm looking into schools. I've looked into Columbus School for girls but I'd need to get Sophie a scholarship because it cost $16k a year. And that is about 3/4 of our total annual income. So I've started looking at the Montessori schools.

Do any of you have your kids or know of anyone who has had their kids enrolled in a Montessori school?

2. keldadog

keldadog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Central Florida
    My daughter went to primary (age 3-6) at a hard core Montessori School. There were things I really liked and some things I could do without...overall she loved it and we were happy as well. She moved to public school for 1st grade this year when I returned to teaching and could get a zone waiver to the school of our choice. She's also done well in her new school. The transition (1st two weeks of this school year) were rough and I probably should have moved her to public school for kindergarten. She's fine now, though. She learned wonderful social skills and problem solving skills in her Montessori class...and loves to cook, polish brass, and wash dishes (all early lessons! [​IMG] )

3. SophieLain127

Apr 7, 2009
    I'm glad you had a wonderful experience. All our schools are 12+ miles away and I would need to get a scholarship for those as well. I'm just not happy with our public school (its ranked the worst in our county and the surrounding ones)

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have a friend who's child goes there now. She says its expensive and she's a doctor. Have you looked into that? She explained alot of things to me about that school, and personally, my children will not go there. She said she likes it because they don't push the child and let him/her do things at their own pace. To her that sounds great, to me, that doesn't. Kinda like when I ask my daughter to clean her room...I expect it to be done now, not when she feels like it. Definitely look into what they specifically focus on. It may be what your looking for until your DH comes around, but it may not be as well. Wish you the best in your search!

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    My daughters both attended Montessori, as did I! Once the foundation is there, public school is okay later, should you choose it.

I *LOVE* the Montessori Method and philosophy, though you have to get used to it if you aren't familiar with it.

My kids are both in gifted and regularly test at 98 or 99th percentile in public school. The 13 y/o is in advanced placement Math and Language Arts and scares me sometimes with how she sees the world and how she sees solutions to problems.

I vote, "GO MONTESSORI!!"

Edited to add:

The Montessori Method dictates that the child's interests should guide him or her to the subject matter, while they have new subject matter introduced regularly. They work with a subject until they have exhausted their interest and then they move to the next thing that strikes their fancy. It fits better with what is natural for a child, rather than the 20-minutes-on-spelling-move-on way teachers are forced to teach in our public school system. I don't think teachers would ever choose that intentionally.

If the school is well run, they encourage interests to be well rounded and constructive.

Montessori schools are often reputed to be expensive, and yet in larger areas you'll find schools that are just as incredible for reasonable rates or scholarships that make it manageable. Ours was deliberately set at the rate SRS would pay so the Montessori Method was accessible to all children.

Edited again to add:

The other thing is there are hidden skills being taught in everything- the two year olds are taught to make bread and jelly, left-to-right, cutting straight lines. This teaches the left-to-right that turns into reading habits. Phonetic sound learning turns into reading skills by age 3 1/2. Most Montessori kids read well by age 4. Playing with 'beaded toys' is really lessons in base ten, which is the foundation of our number system, and suddenly kids are doing rudimentary algebra by substituting triangles for threes, squares for fours, and telling you about how 3 squares is equal to 4 triangles (if x=3 and y=4, then 4x=3y)!!!

It all comes out and freaks you out as a Mom, but you are so glad to see those little brain sponges being used for something other than Telletubbies!!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. SophieLain127

Apr 7, 2009
    the schools in my city reguardless of which type are still expected to do standardized testing. That being said you can move at your own pace as long as you pass the test. When I communicated with the school they said they offer afterschool and before school activities if you child is not moving along as fast.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    It also depends heavily on the Montessori school itself.

DD1 went to one for preschool and I was very happy with it. She was happy and thrived.

When I moved and went to another Montessori to look into school for DD2 their attitude was dreadful. I asked if DD2 could spend some time playing with the other kids and the woman looked at me like I had just picked my nose and said, "Our children do not play."

OK I get it it is all learning, but the point is that children learn through play!

Couldn't do it. The other full Montessori we looked at was over $12,000 a year for a three day a week half day preschool! Don't think so.

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ditto the above somewhat... just depends on the school... your child will have a harder time adjusting the older they are when they start... the main advantage to a montessori school is that it gives your child the ability of self discipline to study on their own... for a few children this may prove insurmountable (my son didnt do well with the montessori method and did better in the traditional school learning system... he just never could establish the self discipline)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by