anyone have Lakenvelders? question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fzouk, Apr 4, 2009.

1. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    I noticed today on my Lakenvelder chick (2 weeks old) definite bumps on his/her head where a comb is starting to grow. I read on the Silver Spangled Hamburgs that's a definite clue at this age that it's a rooster because the pullets' combs don't grow until way later. I'm wondering if it's the same for Lakenvelders because I know that doesn't work for gender identification for all chicken breeds. I'm hoping SHE is a pullet but since this chick was my surprise from McMurray I'm guessing that chances are it's a little man. Anyone have experience with Lakenvelders who could tell me if it means anything or not? I'm so curious!

Thanks!

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

All chicks are born with combs, it's just that in males it gets red quicker. In females it will grow as the chick grows but stay a kind of yellow with maybe a bit of pink.

Two weeks is really young to be determining gender. The closer you look at your chicks the more differences you'll notice, even pullets of the same age and gender will develop differently. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by