anyone have more info on this coop on ebay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by herefordlovinglady, Sep 8, 2010.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I found this on the details page:

Coop/House Inside Area is 25.5" x 25.5"

Approximately 4.5 sq.ft

Not Including Nest Box

If it's really not even 5 sq. ft. inside (and that's before you take up room for a nest box) then I can't see it fitting 8 large hens no matter how you squish them in. lol
    They make a point to say it looks bigger in the pictures, too, so I'm guessing they've had complaints about that before.

3. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    i looked and could not find dimensions. thank you. i need something like this, i do not have the technology to build one, and can't afford a lot of money to buy one. [​IMG]

thanks for helping me out.

4. WingingIt

Apr 16, 2009
    You're welcome. [​IMG]

They have their auction set up odd, IMO. The only way to see the dimensions is to click again. Right under the top picture (up where the bidding info is) in the middle you'll see a blue button that says View Description. You have to click on that to see the rest of the stuff.

I can't decide if they're hoping that people won't read and will bid anyway or if they don't know that they are probably losing bids because it's just not listed there like normal. [​IMG]

5. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    For that price you could build one twice that size! I also imagine they are not too weatherproof/rot resistant either. Check out your local Craigs List for a better deal! [​IMG]

6. WingingIt

Apr 16, 2009
    This is probably going to sound a bit odd, but if your local high school or community college has wood working classes, call them. It's been a long time since I was in school, but I know for a fact that my old high school still works like it did then. If you have a project that you need that can benefit the students (learning to build it from scratch) they'd have you pay for the supplies and they'd build it for the real life experience. It might not be 100% perfect, but you wouldn't have to do it yourself and it would be cheaper than paying someone who does it for a living. Throw in an offer of food and $50 and some of the students will probably figure out a way to deliver it, too.

7. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Quote:oooooh i like this idea! they can practice their woodworking, build you a coop and maybe become future BYC members!

8. herefordlovinglady

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:that is something to look into. thanks for the idea.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

No, that coop cannot support 8 large hens without SERIOUS over-crowding.

There may be a lot of response to your post cautioning you against buying ANY "eBay" coop like this, but I have used that particular vendor's products before. (And I've recently purchased a smaller version of that coop for a "grow out" coop for chicks leaving the brooder but aren't big enough to join the main flock yet. It will be my second coop purchased from that vendor.)

"Not including the nest box" actually means the nest box is a pop-out and is not counted as part of the interior floor space (rightfully so). It's not referring to an interior nest box taking UP inside floor space.

Many folks would say "just one hen." I think, if you have mild winters, you could keep 4 hens in there, if they'll be able to be outside in the run area all day. These are rather light-duty coops, but for someone who doesn't want to build yet another coop, or even a first coop, it would be okay. I like that it's up off the ground (a whole lot more than the first coop I bought which was only 3 inches off the ground). Much easier to clean.

There's been a lot of improvements in the brand since the first one I bought - which I actually liked (or I wouldn't consider buying a second one). But it's still lightweight wood, minimally secure, and MUCH smaller than it looks in the pictures, just like the ad says.

10. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Quote:I bought a "playhouse" from the shop class in June, and we're almost finished fixing it up for the girls. I paid $200 for it, which was less than what we'd have had to pay for the same amount of materials to build it...and DH would never have finished it by snowfall... [​IMG] We've spent more $$ on it since then, but it was unfinished on the inside and i wanted a vinyl floor and washable interior walls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by