Anyone have mottled cochin bantams? **updated spelling*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stone_family3, Aug 9, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm looking at some on CL and they say they are just over a month and a half old. How soon will I be able to tell if they are male and female? Any tall tale signs?

I already have one roo that I'm not supposed to have.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'm guessing that was supposed to be mottled cochin bantams? You will probably be able to tell by now if they are a month and a half along. Look at their combs, boys will be bigger and redder. Good luck!

Edited to add: check out the cochin thread in the breeds, genetics and showing section. There are lots of pictures of bantam cochins at various ages [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks, yeah I spelled that wrong. I'm hopefully buying all six chicks and I figured I can just rehome the roos, however didn't want to buy if they are all roos since I'm not supposed to have any in city limits.

4. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Well thank goodness, I was sitting here racking my brains (non functioning today) about what in the world a Bottled Chocin Bantam was. My mind immediately lept to chick in a bottle. [​IMG]

I have three bantam Pekins (close or the same as a bantam Cochin depending on who you ask). Mine are Creole and just over 5 weeks. I know one of them is definately a girl because her comb is small and very pale and one is definately a boy because it is larger and getting red. I have one I'm unsure about because it had an injury to the comb/top of the head area and we sprayed it with purple chick antiseptic a while ago and the entire area is still bright purple. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    BTW, Mine are lovely. All of them are very sweet and good natured. They settle their positions in the group by chest bumping - even the girl/s?. Puffy, fluffy and feather footed little sweethearts.

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Good to know, it's hard to tell based on the pic they posted on CL and when I asked seller said they weren't 100% sure which where which.

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I had one. His name was Roy. He ended up being Roy The Rapist. He hurt several of my young pullets very badly and even a couple of young cockerels--3 were so badly injured, they had to be put down. Roy had to go. He went to a home where he is way low on the pecking order of a whoooooole bunch of really, really big roosters, everything from a big EE to a Jersey giant and whatever else you can think of... big boys, with big crows and BIG spurs. I hear Roy is settling down some, though he did rough up the bantam light brahma roo for a while until the Big Boys got hold of him.

8. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:Oh wow, I'm glad that I have the ones I do then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by