1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone have opinions or info on old type Montgomery Ward incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jamieleigh, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Jamieleigh

Jamieleigh New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I came across an Montgomery Ward incubator for sale and am not sure whether I should buy it or not. I really love the look of it but don't actual experience with antique type incubators. I'd be asking hubby to rewire it and replace any needed parts (which is easy peasy for him). Does anyone have any experience with these?Or any info? Is $350 a reasonable price if its in good shape? (I really love it already and am crossing my fingers you guys say its a good one). Any info or input is greatly appreciated!

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I like antiques and vintage things ( a lot!),.... I would want to ask them to test it out, for about 2-3 days, see how it runs....and then make an offer....

3. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    It looks awesome! Are all the knobs on it? Does it look like the wiring is all there (does hubby really need to rewire?) With a little wood polish that thing would shine like a diamond! I would be looking for a place to park it in the house, LOL [​IMG]

4. Jamieleigh

Jamieleigh New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Thanks! I love vintage and antique items a lot too. I haven't seen it in person yet because it's a couple hour drive from where I live. The wiring may not really "need" to be changed but I just want to be extra safe. Now where is the perfect spot to put it in the house....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  5. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    LOL, I'd use it as a lamp stand [​IMG] (....just joking... a little, ha!)

Yes, you're right, it probably should be rewired, especially if hubby is good with wires... You should call them in advance and ask them to have it running when you get there, at least you can see if it gets up to temp/humidity and keeps it there.... Good luck!

6. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    I say go for it.
    I paid $350 for mine that was in working condition and the woodwork was solid. However, I did have to replace the thermostats.
    I wrote an article about what I did to it. That's tagged in my signature.

Here's a link to an instruction manual. http://www.leggspeafowl.com/Manual_for_Redwood_Incubators.htm

Your's looks like it was built by the Leahy company, who made and sold incubators under their own name and also for Sears, Ward and others.

Be aware that the instructions use relative humidity (wet bulb vs dry bulb temperature) not percentage.

Good luck with it.

7. Jamieleigh

Jamieleigh New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Thanks for the great information! I decided to buy it[​IMG]I'll take pics and post as we do the steps to fix it up

8. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Yes! You should take pics! ..... I wish I had a good reason to buy one like that, there's one about an hour away for $125....I'm tempted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by