1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone have Partridge Rocks ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by unionwirewoman, Feb 9, 2008.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Found out I might not be going away for work , so I picked up a murray mcmurray catalog and liked the description of the partridge rocks . Does anyone own any ? I'd like to have some input on these birds . Are they really as broody as what they say ? Thanks in advance !

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    i do that is soooo weird i JUST posted a thread on PRs!! there great!!!

3. unionwirewoman

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Holy cow wheeeww ! I thought I was going nuts there for a second ! [​IMG]

4. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    lol, they are very layers, good mama's too!

5. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    they are very broody

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

i don't like mine and they are mcmurray birds- they are very skittish and at the bottom of the pecking order. Missprissy has some mcmurray pr's too and has the same complaint. Other people have them from other places and seem to like them- maybe it's just the mcmurray strain.

7. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I have Partridge rocks. Both hens and roosters. My hens are from Ideal. I love mine, they are my favorite. They are the friendliest hens I have and are the first to come for treats and jump in my lap. I have BR, Buffs, and White rocks also but the Partridge seem to be the friendliest. Although I have heard a lot of people say that there's are not friendly so I'm not sure if it's a hatchery thing or if I just lucked out. They are very pretty as well.

8. unionwirewoman

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    HMMMM ....Good to know guys...Thanks ! Unfortunately our feed store here only orders from mcmurrays , I don't want a bunch of new layers , 6 maybe and a roo . I guess I could look around and order my meat birds at the same time though .

roosters97.... your roo is beautiful ! Just what I was looking for !

jareds44m.....Do your pr's set good ? I know you said they were skittish , but I kinda want to know how broody they are .[​IMG]

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Unionwirewoman- I don't know if they are broody or not yet. They haven't been yet but I'm told they will be more broody as we get warmer. I'll let you know, but I know that doesn't help you now.

For what it's worth, MissPrissy loved her meat birds from McMurray and has several posts on them. Is that where your feed store's meat birds come from? If so- sounds like a good thing.

By the way, I love my Speckled Sussex hens from McMurray.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My partridge are a bit smaller than any of my other rocks. They are very skittish and have been from the start. They are also at the bottom of the pecking order. They do lay a pretty brown egg.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by