Anyone have pics of 6wk Brown Leghorns?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sgarrison, May 18, 2009.

1. sgarrison

sgarrison Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Slate Hill, NY
    I think my 2 brown leghorns are roo's....anyone have pics at this age to compare?

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Brown leghorn roos will be very obvious by 6 weeks. Their combs and wattles should be quite large and red, and their coloring will start to look different than the pullets. That is if they're single comb birds. Brown leghorns also come in rose comb. Which is yours?

I'm looking through pics, and will see if I can find a pic of my brown leghorn at that age, or close to it.

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    also may i ask to post pictures of older about 4 months brown leghorns i need to identify if they are what ideal said they might be lol

4. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Okay, found a pic of a single-combed brown leghorn pullet at 8 weeks. Hopefully that's close enough. Her comb was still small and yellowish.

[​IMG]

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Here's about 4 months old, though the sun was bright in my camera so the color's not great. Same pullet as the picture I posted up there ^
    [​IMG]

6. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i know now my boys are not brown leghorns

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The pullets start showing that light tan stripe in the middle of their feathers, I think it's called pencilling.

8. sgarrison

sgarrison Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Slate Hill, NY
    Mine have much bigger and redder combs, I have no Leghorn pullets to compare them to, they were part of a mixed dozen I picked out (supposed to have all been pullets). Thanks for the pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by