Anyone have pics of bantam barred cochin frizzles?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wood's Farm, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Wood's Farm

Wood's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Running Springs, CA
    I just purchase two chicks that were sold to me as this. The breeder explained with the frizzles that %50 of the chicks are frizzles and %50 are not. I was just trying to figure out what these might look like.

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    When breeding frizzles, it's true that, if done right, as in frizzle x smooth feathered (as opposed to frizzle x frizzle or curly x smooth feathered), you would get approximately 50% frizzled and 50% smooth offspring. Do you have pics of them?

3. Wood's Farm

Mar 21, 2008
    Running Springs, CA
    Here is a couple pictures of them. They are about 8 days old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They both look smooth feathered, so far.

5. Wood's Farm

Mar 21, 2008
    Running Springs, CA
    Thats what I thought too. I guess I will have to just wait and see. Either way they will make a great addition to our flock, since we don't have any bantams yet!

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    They are adorable [​IMG]

7. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i'll have 100% barred frizzle bantams available next spring if you're interested. no hoping they frizzle, these babies will be frizzled and barred!! let me know!

8. Wood's Farm

Mar 21, 2008
    Running Springs, CA
    Thanks for the offer, however I am already over my limit for chickens! I am curious how you can be so sure on them being frizzles. I thought that you have to breed a frizzle to a non-frizzle and of the babies produced only a portion of them will frizzle?

9. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i happened to hatch out a curly chick...a product of breeding a frizzle to another frizzle, so she will produce 100% frizzle chicks when bred to a regular cochin. i also have a barred cochin roo that will produce 100% barred babies, therefore, thier chicks will be 100% barred frizzles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by