Anyone have pics of Black Star Roosters?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by craftymama86, Jul 7, 2011.

1. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just to compare, I'd like to see other BS roosters. We have a young roo I'm told is a BS. The father was BR and the mother is RIR. Right now he looks like a little BR but I know how much they can change as they grow. I'll have to take pics to show what he looks like now. [​IMG] Thanks!

2. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    You've got it reversed. The mother needs to be a BR and the father a RIR.

I don't know if a RIR x BR would equal a black star though, more like golden comet? I'm no sexlink expert, though.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    golden comet is NOT the reverse cross because the reverse cross doesnot result in sexlink coloring.

I have 2 black stars; they are barred but not the clean black and white of a barred rock, rather gray and black. One is the head guy and bodywise looks like a heavy built leghorn; the second is built like a hen.

Sorry don't know how to add pics.

4. craftymama86

So my young roo is a Black Star? Father was BR and mother RIR.

5. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Black Star is really not a breed, it is just a fancy name the hatcheries gave to sex links probably to sell more of them. In order to get sex links out of that cross you have to have a red roo over a barred hen, or else it will not come out sexlinked. If you do it the other way around it will just be a hybrid and you won't be able to tell girls and boys apart.

6. craftymama86

I know these "mix" are not a "breed" but I'm open to using the terms others use especially since my MIL doesn't really like me calling them "sex link".

And you're saying that a black sex link comes from a red roo and a barred hen? So is it not a BSL if the roo is barred and the hen is red?

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Actually a black sex link can come from many different not-barred roosters and a barred hen. The only real criteria is that the chick be a solid enough color that you can see the spot on its head if it is there. A Black Australorp rooster over a Barred Rock hen would give you a black sex link. Most hatchery black sex links are a product of a red rooster and a black barred hen like a Barred Rock, but not all are. Different hatcheries use different breeds.

It is not a BSL if the rooster is barred. A barred hen gives a barred gene to her sons but does not give a barred gene to her daughter. A barred rooster gives a barred gene to both his sons and daughters. Barred is dominant over not barred. So if the hen is barred and the rooster is not, all the males will have a barred gene and none of the females will. But if the rooster is barred, both males and females have barred genes.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  8. craftymama86

Quote:Actually a black sex link can come from many different not-barred roosters and a barred hen. The only real criteria is that the chick be a solid enough color that you can see the spot on its head if it is there. A Black Australorp rooster over a Barred Rock hen would give you a black sex link. Most hatchery black sex links are a product of a red rooster and a black barred hen like a Barred Rock, but not all are. Different hatcheries use different breeds.

It is not a BSL if the rooster is barred. A barred hen gives a barred gene to her sons but does not give a barred gene to her daughter. A barred rooster gives a barred gene to both his sons and daughters. Barred is dominant over not barred. So if the hen is barred and the rooster is not, all the males will have a barred gene and none of the females will. But if the rooster is barred, both males and females have barred genes.

So my roo is not a BLS since the father was barred and the mom is red? If not then is he a sex link at all or just a mix? (He did have a white spot on his head when he hatched).... I think this is why my DH just calls them chickens, LOL.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    He is not a sex link. He is a mix or a mutt.

I'm not opposed to mutts. Here area few of mine.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. craftymama86

Those are nice, I especially like the first two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by