Anyone have pics of Silver Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Nov 12, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I would like some pics of Silver Ameraucanas if anyone has any. I have 2 hens that came from a feed store, all the chicks were basicly the same color and they grew up to look the same and I'm wondering if they may be Ameraucanas instead of just EEs, I have three other goldish EE hens. I know the 2 silver ones are laying and their eggs are blueishgreenish ( Yes I can make up my own color, LOL) I don't have any pics of them yet but if any of you do have pics of real Silver Ameraucanas, I'd like to see them please.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
  4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep my hens look just like the one in that pic, one has a black beard though. So dose that mean they are Americanas and not EEs? My roo is silver colored, but not like the one in the pic, I'm pretty sure he's an EE.

5. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Here are mine...
    [​IMG]

6. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Since you're being a stickler about getting the name right, it's actually Ameraucana -- not "Ameracauna".

[​IMG]

7. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:Yep my hens look just like the one in that pic, one has a black beard though. So dose that mean they are Americanas and not EEs? My roo is silver colored, but not like the one in the pic, I'm pretty sure he's an EE.

If they are hatchery birds, they are EEs. Hatcheries simply don't breed pure Ameraucanas (and I don't mean just in the sense of pure Ameraucana but not standard color--which a lot of folks also reference as EE--but that they mix other breeds with Ameraucana). You might have lucked into a color that looks like a recognized color, but I imagine if you bred them they wouldn't breed true. If you want a better opinion as to what you've got, I'd post pics of the hens in question and see what the Ameraucana & genetics gurus say about their color.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by