Anyone have pictures of GLW x SLW??

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
I am getting 2 GLW's and 2 SLW (1 being roo) I was wondering what the mating would result in? They are all pure and gorgeous and I can't get my hands on a GLW roo so these guys will become a 4-some haha.

If my thinking is correct, which at times its way off base....If you breed a SLW male to a GLW female, the females will look like their father. Males will leak gold in the hackles and wings more than likely.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Yes. I've been studying the genes because I want to breed SLWs to a GLW roo next year to get GLW hens.
SLW roo (S/S) over GLW hens (s+/-) will give all SLW hens (S/-) and the roos will be split for gold (S/s+).
This is because the gold or silver gene is sex linked (males have 2, females 1). This means the female offspring will inherit the silver (S) gene from their father. The male offspring will have a copy from its mother and one from its father.

Someone said somewhere that the GLW hens from a GLW roo over SLW hens cross were a bit lighter in color than GLW x GLW offspring. The roos looked like dirty SLWs.

ETA:
Found the link to a thread on this with pics, it's GLW roo over SLW hens though:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2700333

Last edited:
would this make sexing these birds easy and fast? I mean if the grils look like their fathers those would be pullets and the others roos?? Did I get that correct I have a SLW roo ( and a pullet) and 2 GLW pullets. Obviously the pure breeding of the SLW's together would all hatch and look the same -but hmm Im a little stumped now

Last edited:
You will need GLW male over SLW females to get chicks sexable at hatch.
All pullets chicks will have gold heads, males chicks will have pale heads.

Females inherit genes on the Z sex chromosome only from their father. Males inherit a Z chromosome from both parents.

Last edited:
Silver doesn't work the same way?

No, because it is incompletely dominant.
The whole thing with sex linked crosses works on one of the alleles being dominant. The dominant allele needs to be on the female's single Z sex chromosome. The male needs to have the recessive allele on both of his Z chromosomes.

with sex links the female chicks result from their inheriting a w chromosome from their mother & their only Z chromosome from their father. So they can only inherit the recessive trait. The male offspring, however, inherit a Z sex chromosome from their mother which has the dominant allele & they also inherit a Z chromosome from their father which has the recessive allele.

So, the females can only inherit these sex linked traits from their father. If the male has the incompletely dominant sex linked silver allele, the female will be silver; The males inherit sex linked traits from both parents, so if the father was silver his sons would inherit the silver gene from his father & a gold gene from his mother. Silver being incompletely dominant he would also appear silver at hatch, especially in the presence of columbian, the gold gene wouldn't show.​

well now Im just bummed out! haha that was interesting reading=I need tylenol now to stop my head from spinning;-)

Back
Top Bottom