Anyone have pictures of really, really frizzled cochins?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by xC0000005, Mar 6, 2012.

1. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    One of our first chickens (back when I said my wife was crazy for buying four off of craigslist for $10) was more or less given to us - a tiny "frizzle" cochin, but frizzle isn't the right term for what this poor hen had - her feathers twisted and curled so badly she looked like she was constantly molting. Her skin was red (which we found out later is somewhat normal for bare chicken skin, except that it was ALWAYS red because, well, she was always bare. She was a lousy egg layer, but the best pet chicken you could want - the girls would hold her and she'd start cooing/chirping and even hop in your lap if it was open. When she came to us her tail was pecked to bleeding from where she'd been pecked by others, but in a couple of weeks it looked just as awful as the rest of her. We lost her to a dog attack - she couldn't fly in the least, so the dog got her. (I was upset for days).

I realized we don't have any good pictures of her, and I was trying to add a picture of one to something I'm doing for my daughter.
    I've searched all over but most of the frizzle pictures just have a little curl, not the "what the heck happened to its feathers?" twist that Curly had. Anyone else out there that has some badly frizzled frizzles?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    This is the only picture I have of my frazzle roo, Fugly. He was lost to a weasel last summer. If I hadn't cropped this pic, you would have been able to see he had a red, bare belly and no wing feathers. He was a sweetie too, but he had a face only a mother could love, poor guy.
    He's a LF Cochin
    [​IMG]
    My frizzled Cochin, Flapjack, for comparison :)
    [​IMG]

3. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Ok. Curly was a frazzle then (only black). I think your roo had her beat for pure ugly though. It's really easy for me to remember her as cuter, but looking at the pictures of your boy I'm recalling a few "that poor chicken" moments. Not that she was ever in distress - she just looked awful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by