Anyone have pictures of the aftermath of fowl pox?

StardustChicken

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Louisiana
I've dealt with fowl pox before, but only with young chicks. I recently had another outbreak and one of my broodies was among the 6 infected. This is the worst case I've had to deal with.

Does anyone have any during fowl pox vs after fowl pox pictures? Just to get idea of how her face might heal? Poor Mama looks like she was swarmed by bees :-(

Before:
IMG_20220820_101418505.jpg

During Fowl Pox:
IMG_20220918_164712927.jpg
IMG_20220918_164526689.jpg
IMG_20220918_164519858.jpg

Last edited:
Fowl pox is pretty bad in your area. Most grown chickens recover from i in a month or so, unless they get a secondary infection or wet fowl pox. That causes yellow material inside the beak and throat, and can be very serious. You might want to consider vaccinating for fowl pox when you have new flock members. Chickens who have had fowl pox and recover are usually immune to it later on. Yours should look back to normal when they recover. Here is some info to read:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

You might want to consider vaccinating for fowl pox when you have new flock members
Is there even a fowl pox vaccine for chicks that young? The one I use they have to be at least 8 weeks old. All the currently infected are chicks who are barely 1 week old (+ the broody hen who missed her vaccination)

The vaccines are all the same I think. They are way too young to be vaccinated. Can you bring the chicks and the broody into a garage or basement where there are no mosquitoes?

The vaccines are all the same I think. They are way too young to be vaccinated. Can you bring the chicks and the broody into a garage or basement where there are no mosquitoes?
I don't have either unfortunately. They're all quarantined of course. Best I can do is watch out for infection, give Hydro Hen, and use as many mosquitoe repellents as I can while the virus runs its course.

Everytime I've had a fowl pox outbreak it's been exclusively chicks too young to vaccinate. The only difference this year is an adult got infected who missed her vaccination, nothing to blame but human error.

Back
Top Bottom