1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone have pictures or advice on frostbite?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LilDucky85, Jan 3, 2010.

1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I recently posted that I thought my female Pekin [who just started laying] was getting beaten up by the males. I thought they were biting the back of her neck and pulling the feathers out. Now I'm not sure what is going on with her. I brought her inside and gave her a good check up. She seemed fine other than this hard wrinkly bald spot on the back of her head and neck. Its about 2 or 3 inches long. The spot where she is bald is brown, and almost resembles a scab but has new feathers prickling out. Could this be frostbite? I checked the rest of her body and feet and she is perfect otherwise. I dont know how she could even be frostbitten because everyone else is fine. Their house is fully enclosed from the outside, and their run has plastic shrinkwrap over it to keep out the snow and wind. They also have a red heat lamp which doesnt give off too much heat, just helps on below zero nights. At first I thought she burned her neck on the bulb but that isnt possible. Could anyone post pictures of their ducks with frostbite, or give me some advice? Is it even possible to get frost bite under feathers?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. DuckDuckGuinea

DuckDuckGuinea University of North Quackalina

Aug 23, 2009
    NC
    I am thinking your first guess was correct. My 4 females have same patch (some more noticable than others) that you are describing b/c thats where the males grab them when mating.
    Frostbite would more likely be on the feet.
    Sorry I am not to helpful, but I have only owned pekins for a little over six months-learn something new everyday!

3. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Ohhh ok thank you. Its not good either way, but I think frostbite would be more harmful. At lest I know whats going on. I need more girls or less boys. This is terrible and stressful!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. DuckDuckGuinea

DuckDuckGuinea University of North Quackalina

Aug 23, 2009
    NC
  5. tjcschwar

tjcschwar Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    I have 4 females and they bite each other's necks. They are so randy that one has to act the male (they take turns).

6. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Ouchhh! I checked out that link. That looks terrible! Luckily my girl looks nothing like that. Her feet are perfect. I was expecting to see at least some reddness but they looked the same as in summer. Yeah I guess its just the other nasty ducks picking on her. Poor baby. They dont seem to pick on the other girl. I dont know if she is laying yet though so maybe that effects how they treat her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by