Anyone have Sex Links that stop laying in the winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicky Joy, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    We have 8 RSL that have been laying great since July. They have been laying fewer eggs lately. I think we got 4 eggs yesterday. I was sort of surprised that we weren't getting more eggs. So far today we've gotten 5. I'm not overly concerned as I understand that slowing down in the winter is a natural occurence. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this same thing happen with their SL chickens?

I did consider that maybe someone out there is eating the eggs before I get to them but I have no proof of that as yet.

2. Dont say that! I have 5 and I get 5 eggs day!

3. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 BSL's that are still going strong everyday! And yes I have to check my eggs a lot because one or both of them (I'm not sure which one) likes to egg nap the eggs and run around the run with it for everyone to see!

4. Chicky Joy

Jun 22, 2008
    Well, my husband told me that there were three eggs out there that he didn't have time to grab before he went to work this morning. I've been in the house all day on a cleaning spree (my first Saturday off in a long time) but will be going out to the coop shortly. I'll know something naughty is going on if there aren't at least three eggs waiting for me.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some of mine stop, some keep going, but if they go through a moult, they stop for sure. The older ones, 3+ years take a few months off at a time, or start to lay maybe 3 a week vs 6 a week. Less light is often the reason. Hope you find at least 3 eggs!

6. Chicky Joy

Jun 22, 2008
    I found 4! [​IMG]

That means we got 6 total today, which is respectable. I know my hens have been going through a bit of a molt but I thought they were all done. They probably are. It's probably the light issue. We're waiting for some orders to come in, otherwise we'd have power out to our coop by now. I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll give them suplemental light.

We also have 6 BSL pullets that are 15 weeks. I'm very anxious to find out if they'll start laying during these winter months or if they'll hold off till spring....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by