Anyone have Silver Sussex???

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Chef, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Eggs or chicks??? Or Coronation sussex?

2. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    In the USA, you can get Coronation Sussex from Greenfire Farms. They are NOT cheap. Try not to faint when you visit the web site!

The owner of the farm is here on BYC. His user name is stoneunhenged.

eta -- I just checked, and he also has silver. I had forgotten that!

http://www.greenfirefarms.com/store/sussex

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  3. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Not me, but I've got a speckled sussex. She is pretty, but she is an awful layer.

4. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Thanks Amazondoc. I am aware of greenfire farms as I have purchased from them before. He has very beautiful birds. Ya talk about sticker shock! Those are by far the most expensive chickens I have ever seen... "but I want one"! Is he the only one that has this breed or what? Just trying to find a better price or trade.

Thanks!
    Chef

5. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    He's supposed to be the only person in this whole *hemisphere* with the Coronation -- dunno if that's true, and I dunno about the silver either!

6. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Ok then that would explain the price. Just thought I'd ask. I take it nobody on BYC has purchased any. I havent seen much on the coronation or the silver on here. Is there not a market for them?

Chef

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    stoneunhenged imported the silver and coronation Sussex from Australia to the US, i believe it was 3000 dollars per pair or trio, due the the US not having silver or coronation sussex (or at least, probably none without having other crap crossed into them) hence.. the price on them, i saw the auctions for the birds on eggbid for the first offspring out of the trios/pairs and read all of it

8. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Many other countries have more colors in their poultry than we do. Those birds are so expensive because it is VERY expensive to import them. He just imported them last year, so he is still trying to make his money back from those expenses.

I think somebody here on BYC has bought light Sussex from Greenfire, but I don't remember who!

9. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Woops -- double post, sorry!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  10. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I see. I almost bought a pair of Buff sussix from him when I bought my marans, but it was to close to xmas to spend so much. Sure would like to get either color though.

Chef

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by