Anyone have Skype that could give me some info?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reveriereptile, Feb 28, 2013.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    A couple weeks ago my mother brought up the topic about Skype. My step-dad would like to buy her a kit for their computer and have us get a kit also. They live about 800 miles from me and I will be having a baby in May. My step-dad thought it would be nice to have so my mother can see the baby on cam full screen.

I don't know much about the program other than it has a full screen option which we would want. I use to have a webcam when I was younger and used it through Yahoo messenger. It was just a small image that it showed. I haven't used a webcam or messenger in 8 years. I don't know how they have changed by now.

For both of us using Vista and going through the computer would there be any hidden costs if we both get Skype? Is there a cost to set up an account with them or do you just buy the program? Do you have to buy a kit to get it? The cheaper kits they are looking at is $60 and they were going to send us money for a kit also. I don't want them wasting money and then find out there is a bunch of other costs.

If there are any other webcams or messengers that you can have a full screen live chat through let me know. I'd hate for them to spend that much and then find out they could of just bought a $15 webcam and a mic to use through a free messenger system of if you can use any cam/mic with the purchase of the Skype program. I'd appreciate any information about the program before they spend their money.

2. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    As far as I'm aware, Skype is a free program if you use the internet to connect unless you call someone?

If you connect your webcam to the computer, Skype should automatically register it? I know for a fact about Skype because I've never had to put my debit card in!

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yeah, Skype is free if both callers are using it. Any microphone and/or webcam should work with it too, as far as I know (as long as your computer recognizes the device, of course. Sometimes computers can be very picky, and then it might not work).
    You should check out the website if you haven't already done so. It's very informative if you spend some time reading through it.

4. UrbanChickenSF

UrbanChickenSF Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Skype is a free program which you can download online. You can chat for free via voice, text, or video with any other Skype users. You can also call people using their private phone numbers, but you will need to pay for that.

If your computer does not have a built-in microphone and WebCam you will need to purchase both in order to web chat.

5. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Thank you for the information. Makes me feel better.

I talked with my mother last night and her husband bought her a Dell laptop that has Skype on it along with other features. I think it has a webcam and mic built into it and has the newest Windows. He had his nephew that works with computers help them pick it out. She wanted something that they could move from room to room to use instead of having to stick in the bedroom. She is still trying to figure it out since she barely knows anything about computers.

What would be a good reasonable priced webcam possibly with a built in mic to buy for a Windows Vista to use? I want something that should produce a decent image. I'd hate to buy a cam and can see them fairly well and have them struggling to see the baby. It will be my mother's second grandchild but first grandson. Even though both of my parents are split I'm assuming my step dad will be inviting my real dad over to view him also.

6. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
  7. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Thanks for the reply. They have that webcam at our Walmart. I was looking at it earlier. It has a built-in mic and said it works with Skype. Maybe I'll have to purchase one.

8. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Read the fine print. When I looked at it, you had to give permission for them to run off your computer in the background. If you are okay with that, then sign up. I elected not to, but then, I also refuse to have a facebook account, and I am considering dropping google email, too.... Actually, I think I would be most comfortable having a public and a private computer: one for banking, personal type stuff like that, no other internet use at all; and one for goofing off stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by