Anyone have SQ Pekin ducks? Pics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FlChickie, Nov 10, 2011.

1. FlChickie

FlChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Citrus County, Florida
    I currently have 6 pekins and I just love them. My neighbors daughter wants to show one in the fair next year and I'm just wondering what a SQ pekin is suppose to look like and if mine are close to the standard. I don't want her to be crushed if my ducks aren't up to par. I think they are beautiful, but I would like to know what they look for.

The drake would be the one she wants to show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But she also likes my girl daisy shown in front in this photo, but her beak is a bit lighter and has a few dark spots on it.
    [​IMG]

Any feedback would be great. I'm just getting into ducks so I'm still learning.

2. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I don't know what a SQ pekin should look like either, but they sure are beautiful!! Do your hens ever go broody?

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I know that standards do differ between countries- but here is a nice looking Australian Standards Show Quality Pekin.

Still only young- this one still has a little growing to do .

[​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    [​IMG] thats a big duck!

5. FlChickie

FlChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Citrus County, Florida
    Quote:Thank you!

No luck on them going broody yet, but I'm hoping.

duckyfrommoz that is a beautiful duck!

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    They are all wonderful ducks! I love em! Wish I had room [​IMG]

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It is gorgeous- Not my bird though by the way- just a photo I took at a poultry show this year. Something to notice about it is the way the feathers are .. For want of a better word - fluffier- on this bird- they are not so tight against the body. The UK standard is very similar to the Australian standard Pekin- It is a much more upright bird than what is bred in America from what I have seen as well.

Compare these pics as well- Both have the much fuller look to the feathers, in comparison to the most common utility strain of pekin that is found, bred for meat production. The pekins I have are also just a utility strain, nothing like the ones seen in a show pen.

http://www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/pekin.htm

http://www.metzerfarms.com/BirdInformation.cfm?Breed=Pekin&BirdType=Duck&ID=P&CustID=500728

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've got Pekin but I haven't tried showing them.

SOP Drake 10 pounds, and I can't tell how much he weighs from the photo. Over size and under size aren't a disqualification, but it loses points fast.

I don't see any disqualifications in your drake. He looks a bit to horizontal to me, but he might stand up taller at a show where he is less comfortable.

His eyes are supposed to be a dead leaden blue and I can't see his eye color. The blue coloring is actually hard to see. It's pretty gray.

I don't think he has enough of a "prominent crown" on his head, but not really bad.

Feathers should be really hard. I suspect that the show duck in the photo had too much of a bath trying to get him white and it ruined his feathers.

Pekin are actually supposed to have a yellowish cast and not be dead white.

I say go ahead and show him. Your neighbor's daughter won't be laughed out of the show grounds. He looks nice enough to show to me. He won't win champion if there is a better Pekin there, but he is certainly presentable and it is a lot of fun to show poultry. At the county fair level, he might very well be the best Pekin there.

I show at the country fair and get free passes and spend a lot of time there doing all the fun stuff. Make sure the neighbor knows she has to go every morning and every evening to make sure he has food and water. I suggest that for a few days before the show, you put him in a cage and feed him some treats so he isn't freaked out at the show from being put into a cage for the first time.

I don't wash my show ducks. They get lots of clean water and they bathe themselves and are clean enough to show.

Find out if she needs to learn showmanship to show him. She should be able to show in open without showmanship, but youth classes often require showmanship.

9. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    We have show Pekins, I will have to take a picture this weekend and post them. Yours are all typical hatchery-stock. You could show any of them, but they won't beat a show-bred bird. I will have to go out and take pictures tomorrow. Onslow, our drake is huge! He looks similar to the Austrailan bird, but with slight differences according to the American standards.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:They look like they could have Runner in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by