Anyone have success covering walls of run in plastic?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Oct 28, 2011.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    We have high winds and lots of snow during the winter. Our run is covered but something needs to be used on the sides of the run. I tried plastic last year and it was ripped apart by the wind. Might have been because I didn't completely wrap the run. Then, I tried burlap and that worked well but didn't completely block the snow/wind. I would like to use heavy plastic or tarps but don't know if it's possible to do with 60 mph winds. If anyone has had success with this, please tell me what you did. Thanks

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Blue tarps seem to have what it takes, if they are fastened securely so they can`t flap. A staple gun and lots of staples is minimum. A screw gun with flat head screws is good. Good luck.......Pop

3. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    60 mph winds...wow...that's some swift winds. Have any pics of your run?

It might be essential to add some lumber to it so that you have something to secure your tarps to.. My run is small (4' x 8') but I constructed it so that I can added the wire needed to keep predators out and throw a tarp on during the colder winter times. When it is time to add the tarp, I will just use little framing screws and screw the tarp directly to the vertical posts I have up that the wire is mounted to.

Hope this gives you something to think about.

Good Luck and God Bless.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

We just did that today on one of the coops. 1 side is covered with a blue tarp, the rest is wrapped in plastic.

5. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I tried covering my run with 4 mil plastic, the wind ripped it to shreds. Mine is 20 x 20. So I am going to see who has a good deal on blue tarps & use them instead. At least to try & block the worst of the wind, and create some type of area outside that they can be outside & not get blown away. Every time the wind gust hits the girls & their tail feathers blow, it reminds me of the part in Mary Poppins when the wind blows all the nannies away.

6. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    We cover our run in plastic every years...We made frames out of 1x2's and stapled plastic to the frames...Every fall we screw the panels to the run...I cover the whole run except for the door which is not on the windy side...We do have a shingled roof over the top of the run so there is no downwind...Our plastic used to get shredded in the wind until we took the time to make these panels...Ugh..Winter will be upon us soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by