Anyone have success feeding a flockraiser with extra calcium supplement?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Mar 19, 2013.

1. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    We have a flock of 50ish birds that is currently all on a layer ration. Usually when we integrate young stock, we do it at 18 weeks so there's no problem with the calcium in the feed.

We've started to raise more and more birds with broody hens, and would eventually like to integrate the chicks and their mamas into the main layer flock a lot earlier than we do now--basically letting mama do it. I know the added calcium isn't good for the young pullets' reproductive systems. Has anyone had any success using a flockraiser product with extra calcium provided in a separate location with no loss of egg production?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    With mixed age flocks that's fairly standard to use a flockrasier or a grower with the calcium supplement separate. The last time I did it was last late fall and the flock was going into molt so I couldn't tell you if it hurt the production and more then say change to a different brand feed. They kept on laying and my count was about what I expected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by