Anyone have success finding roos a home on CL?**DONE**

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I picked my guy up on CL when he was around 8 mos. old. Now he's a little over a year and starting to be more aggressive than what I want around my small children.
    I was thinking about listing him on CL but I don't know. . . I know that's where I found him, but hey, I'm an exceptional home [​IMG] I do want the poor boy to have a
    good life. Would you list yours on CL?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    I got rid of one on cl to a guy looking for a free one for his hens--i would do it again.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Certainly there are many fine people, like yourself, who read & reply to ads on CL. But keep in mind that it is totally free, and a very public forum. You may get different people responding to your ad than if you paid to advertise in a more exclusive show-poultry trade publication.

Keep in mind also that many folks shop CL for chickens for their table. Which, in my opinion, could still qualify as a "good home" for an unwanted rooster. There are far worse things that could happen to a chicken than to provide nourishment for a grateful human family. Some folks complete their transactions with a "don't ask/don't tell" policy. It may be more difficult to find someone to take your roo if you insist they not take it for eating.

I think the table is the best place for any rooster showing any signs of aggression. You of course must make mention of your roo's undesirable behavior as your reason for getting rid of him, it would not be right to withhold that information to prospective new owners.

4. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    what kind of rooster is he? I just rehomed 2 on CL 2 days ago, the guy wanted OEGBs for his hens. I have rehomed a few in the past, and I'm picky about where they go. As long as they are free you will get calls.

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    He's a Blue Cochin. I asked $10 for him just to weed out anyone wanting one for anything undesirable. Free to you! [​IMG]

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:I agree with you. I did disclose all of his qualities...which the previous owner omitted in her description to me. [​IMG]

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I've rehomed several on CL. I always try to find 'good homes' for the nice ones, but if I have an aggressive one, well, he can be someone's dinner. Don't want anyone getting hurt. Now I just give any aggressive roos to our cleaning woman at work. She's from Guatemala, and is very familiar with how to dispatch a mean roo.

8. coastaltx

coastaltx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2010
    Third Coast
    I have had an ad on CL for 2 weeks now, 7 assorted 9 week Bantam roos for $20. Have not had a single reply. I know it is the area I am in, there are chickens everywhere. At less than $3 each, I hoped they would go to somebody who could use them. Still here in a week, it will be off to freezer camp.

9. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    I think craigslist works well for selling chickens. But please be honest in your ad- mention why you are getting rid of him. That way you are more likely to get a good fitting home- rather than another family with kids who will likely just kill him.

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:You may have to change that to "7 Bantam roos AND $20". You may have to PAY someone to take them off your hands! [​IMG]

It's often difficult to find homes for unwanted bantam roos, even for table fare. They're often not worth the effort to process for the amount of meat they have. Sometimes you can find a place for a particularly handsome or mannerly one, but they're often feisty with loud screechy crows on top of their other undesirable qualities. This is why I don't set bantam eggs any more, I just don't want to have to deal with the extra roos that hatch.

But seriously, if no one has replied to your ad to buy those little roos you should try offering them for even less, or free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by