Anyone have swedish ducks??? How do they compare to other breeds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bearfeet3, Mar 30, 2009.

1. bearfeet3

bearfeet3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    I have a couple crested swedish eggs in the incubator. I wanted a fun active pet but temperment descriptions describe this breed as "calm" and "mild mannered." What are they like as pets?

2. SandRun

SandRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have 4 Blue Swedish ducks. I started with 6 for my pond, but lost 2 last summer. The Blue Swedish are the only ducks I've ever owned so my experience is somewhat limited. Having said that I have to say that all in all they are pretty good ducks. They're messy as can possibly be, but from what I understand that's not much different than any other duck. I can't honestly say that my family and I really spent a lot of bonding time with them, but they aren't exactly stand-offish. they spend 100% of their time on our pond, but when they're hungry and feel as though they've been neglected cause I haven't fed them recently they make their way to our garage and quack until I feed them. I'd have to say they make good pets, and perhaps if we had spent more time with them they would make exceptional pets, but our goal was to have ducks on our pond that were at least somewhat self sufficient, which they are. No complaints.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by