Anyone have the Advantek Farm House Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tinkymoe, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Tinkymoe

Tinkymoe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Hi

I am considering buying the Advantek Farm House Coop to house 2 silkie hens in my backyard. I live in Florida and am a little concerned about ventilation in the hot weather. I am probably going to be making some alterations but wondered if anyone has one of these coops now?

Advice? Here is a link to see it -- I guess I can't post pics yet.

http://www.petsbycsn.com/Advantek-Marketing-21831-VNK1002.html

Thanks for your time!!

[​IMG]

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I don't have it but I can tell by looking at the picture that it's one of those cheap internet coops that you want to stay well away from. These are much smaller than they look in the picture and are very poorly made. Many do not last through the first winter.

3. mikecnorthwest

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
  4. Tinkymoe

Sep 10, 2011
    Arggh! Wow. Thank you SO much! Back to the drawing board.... sigh. I was hoping for easy -- I have never built anything like this before and my hubs is not so enthusatic about having to build one. I wish I could find a local coop builder.

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    yeah i know some of them look cheap wood. thats what i am leary of with them. was just going to tell you to look on ebay. they have alot of coops on there. they look good and reasonable priced. i prefer to build my self though. but they do look nice.

6. Mama_Bear

Mama_Bear Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    North Tx
    We are not handy people, so building a coop and run was not in the cards for us. That is the one aspect of getting into backyard chickens that held us up the longest.

We looked all over the web and went with ordering a tractor from Dan at greenchickencoops.com .

We live in North East Tx and have experience extreme weather fluctuations. We needed something that would allow the chickens to withstand 100+ heat in the summer and ice & below freezing temps in the winter. Added to that - we have horrible humidity and moisture conditions that I was concerned would rot wood quicker.

It helped to talked to Dan. I explained to him the weather conditions we face and he helped me make decisions to customize the coop to meet the extremes of heat and freezing we experience here.

It was a bit more expensive than some of the other kits we were considering; but I don't regret the cost at all. I'm so happy with this coop & run. It's sturdy and I'm confident it will withstand many years of use!

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
  8. mikecnorthwest

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
  9. deannabirr

deannabirr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Myers, FL
    Where in FL are you located? We are in Fort Myers. My husb and son in law built our coop. We could possibly help if you are nearby

10. Tinkymoe

Sep 10, 2011
    Thank you SO much! That is so nice of you! I think I found some local coop builders. I live in the Tampa Bay area and found a place in Plant City and one in Land-O-Lakes that I am going to check out. I am so excited....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by