Anyone Have This Happen.........Could it be a disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by drdoolittle, Jun 11, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have several chickens, some 1 and 2 year olds, and some chicks----from 2-3 months. 2 of my NN chicks have died this week, with no noticeable symptoms whatsoever.

When I found the first, it was barely alive, sitting by itself and peeping-----it died not long after, but the only thing I could see wrong with it was that it was extremely thin.
    It's breast-bone looked skeletal, and I could plainly see it's neck bones. The same with the 2nd one that I found already dead today.
    Before they died, they seemed perfectly fine......eating, drinking, and walking around.

I feed my chickens very well, and all get their share. How could this happen? Is this some disease? I checked some of the others, and did find one that also seems thin.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    If they are eating well and still thin, I would think worms. You can search older threads for treatment options. I'm sorry you lost your chicks. [​IMG]

3. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thank you for your help. I do put ACV in their drinking water about once a week or so------I do have proper wormer from TSC, guess I will use that and see if there is any improvement.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Define proper wormer?

If it's wazine, be aware that it is only effective for roundworms. You may need a follow-up with a broad spectrum wormer.

5. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    I'm so sorry you lost your chicks. I had a similar thing happen about a month ago. The vet (after $160) also said it was worms and "gave" me Pancure to give the remaining ones for 3 days to worm them. They've started to gain more weight now.

6. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I'd suspect coccidiosis rather than worms for the young birds. Although it could be a worm problem, it's hazardous to worm chickens that are already debilitated. I'd try treating them with a round of Corid or Sulmet - cocci causes a general wasting.

7. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    O.K., I'll look up symptoms of cocci and treat for that, and if that doesn't work, I'll treat for worms. And I'll use the broad spectrum wormer. Thanks everyone!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont suspect cocci unless you saw bloody poop. Inspect all of them for lice/mites, could be worms.

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    cocci doesnt always cause bloody poo but they would look sick all fulffed up and not moving much. Check for bugs. Also you can treat for cocci in case.

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by