Anyone have this happen????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bulldog-girl, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Twice in the last 6 months I have found an egg under thier perch. I have 4, 8 foot perches for 23 chickens. They have plenty of room. They also have 9 nest boxes of which they normally only use 4. go figure.[​IMG] Anyway, twice now I have found an egg under the perches. Do they just slip out while they are sleeping or did my chicken actually get on the ground below the perch in the poo to lay an egg in the night?

I have a light go on in the coop at 3 am so it could have happened after the light goes on. Most of the girls lay after 9 am and on into the day. I rarely have an egg before 8 am.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I did have that happen when they first started laying, not recently though. However once in a while I find one in the run. Not sure if they actually lay it there or kick it out of the box and play ball with it?!

3. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I do have the same problem, except lately I have had several go in the corner under the roosts and make a nest. Sometimes there are up to 6 eggs in it. I don't know why they have started that because they have nest boxes (and have used them). We have 3 different heights of roosts, so it is very inconvenient for me to crawl under them and get the eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by