Anyone have this mixed breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blr8t2, Jan 16, 2013.

1. blr8t2

blr8t2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    I am DYING to know what this chick will look like. She was hatched today. By the time I got home this afternoon she (wing feather check says she) was all dry and fluffy with long fuzz and pretty advanced wing feathers for a newbie, some fuzz is
    [​IMG]

curly with the extra under eye feathers of her dad. I thought he was a mixed breed but looked up Aracauna and the pic shown might as well have been my boy. So mom is either my Barred Plymouth Rock or a Black Star. Their eggs are almost identical except the stars eggs usually have a light spot at the small end of the egg like calcium deficient but that part is gone so I cant tell. Anyway she is adorable, eating already and very healthy! Just wondering if she will stay that silvery gray color, it's gorgeous! Or if she will turn black like her mom or other mom lol. Let me know if you have this mixed breed, I'm gonna hatch some more this one looks AWESOME!!

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Beautiful chick! Her comb looks like it's not a pea comb, which I think Araucanas have. Just a little observation.

I read that black stars are a cross of a Barred Rock, so it may not be easy to figure out who her mom is.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    is the dad a solid color? if so the chick should be sex linked and if mom was the barred rock then i would say you have a nice little pullet if it turns to be a roo i would say your black sex link was the mom but it does depend on what breed and color dad is and were he came from if he is "arucana"

4. blr8t2

May 27, 2012
    Yeah I had to look up what breed the other laying hen was, I got a bunch of older hens from some people "upgrading" their flock and they were laying but stopped mid-summer so springtime will tell if they will start up again. For whatever reason this one started laying again. She was very calcium deficient and for a while most of her eggs broke when you picked them up. They were fed only organic food at their previous home, so I'm not real keen on that at his point, most of the hens had fragile eggs back when more of them laid. I did have to look up what breed the one is and did see they are a combo breed so either way the chick is half barred plymouth or 1/4 right? But OMG she is cute! I have hatched a lot of chicks, and this one is most feisty and ready to live life! I hatch seramas too which are very difficult, and most of them need help even hatching. But needless to say Ima gather more of these eggs and see if i get more gray chicks of this quality. We did get one last year we called Frost, same silvery shiny gray but it had a weird large foot and ended up not surviving. Just cried all the time and didn't eat :( My boy which I call Mister--all boys are mister or mini mister for the seramas lol--looks almost just like this guy except the comb is a little different, unique to him i suppose http://www.aneclecticmind.com/2007/05/11/araucana-rooster-seeks-new-coop/

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    that roo in the link is an easter egger not an araucana in the usa the araucanas have no tails can you get a picture of the dad?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. blr8t2

May 27, 2012
    Yes, I can tomorrow, but he looks almost just like the one in the link. I had one but lost my hard drive so no more pics grr

7. blr8t2

May 27, 2012
    I will post a pic of this pullet tomorrow if I have time to get one. She is now over 2 months old and a silly girl. Her name is Curly and her "hatchmates" are Mo and Larry lol. Mo is a rooster yet to come into manhood and he is THE sweetest thing in the coop. He cuddles and alls asleep in your arms. Curly, when she was little would back up and ram the cage door, get it open and come hunt me down. SInce a loose chicken in a carpeted house is really not my thang, I had to barricade the door! Larry (whose mom is a barred plymouth rock and dad probably Ameraucana not araucana btw) looks like her mom in color with the grey and white, but she has face fluff bigger than dad and its a face only a mother can love lol. Anyway, if i shut the screen on the coop, guess who rams it trying to get out and be with me. Curly. When I go in the coop she will get on the highest item near and stare at me expecting to be picked up. If I sit on the bench she hops up and sleeps in my lap! She's like a puppy. A dusty~poopy-footed~sweet little puppy. Hope she stays that way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by