Anyone have trouble cutting the apron strings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gardenpartyy, Jun 16, 2016.

1. gardenpartyy

gardenpartyy Just Hatched

May 18, 2016
    TN
    So I've got two chickies that are definitely old enough to be outside with the other 5, but they've become so tame that I'm having trouble bringing myself to do it. Right now I've turned the inside brooder box into a condominium to avoid having to put them outside. They sit and perch on the edge of the box when I come into the room (it's my bathroom...) and watch me so curiously. UGH. [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Put them out, they need and want to do chicken things, they don't belong in your bathroom. Make them their own separate area next to or within the current flock. Bored chicks will often start pecking each other. You can visit them all you want outside. They will be much happier. Mine all get in line to ride the bucket to the outside pen at three weeks, they are going to the chicken shed this weekend, they need more room to run, they will be happy.

3. gardenpartyy

gardenpartyy Just Hatched

May 18, 2016
    TN

That is so adorable. I take them outside every day to get used to it--I know they're ready, but I'm gonna have to make the separate enclosure for acclimation to the rest of the tribe since the outside ones try to peck at the younger ones when they're outside with them. It's like 95 degrees out where I'm at right now, so I'll try to put something together when the sun goes down this evening if the temperature drops a little bit, that is. [​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You can do it, I do understand being worried though, I get attached to mine too and always want to keep them safe, but for their mental well being, it's best to move them out, then you can start thinking about next year's kids.[​IMG]

Expect it to take a few weeks to get them fully integrated into the coop. You can also bring them back in at night if it's more comfortable for you, and take them out in the morning to help wean you both off each other.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No matter how cute they are? They are chickens and are ready to go out and be Chickens. They wont forget the hand that feeds them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by