Anyone have urban goats?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JennsPeeps, Jul 31, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I live on a small-ish city lot. We've got 4 chickens & 2 cats. The more I learn about being self-sustaining, the more I like it. I'm curious about urban goat ownership. After reading urbanhomestead.org, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", and "Omnivore's Dilemma", I'm hooked on the idea.

Does anyone have (milk) goats in the city? I'm curious about sizes, noise levels, smell, flies, and space needed.

Thanks!

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Oh man!! I WISH!!!

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Hey Jenn,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I already looked into it. Goats aren't allowed in T-town.

Drat!

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Hi Dena,

Ah crapola! How funny that you've already considered it!! I looked at the code yesterday & couldn't find anything. Glad you saved me the heartache. I wonder, though, if that guy can keep his Vietnamese pot-bellied pig b/c she's a "pig" not a "hog", can't I have goats as "pets"???

http://www.thenewstribune.com/opinion/story/362027.html

5. coffeelady3

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I had read that story, but I never did hear the outcome. I stumbled across the goat thing, but, of course, when I go back through the code I can't find it again to save my life. What's up with that!

And what's up with this rain!

6. coffeelady3

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I found it in the code....it's in Title 5 Chapter 5.23

http://www.cityoftacoma.org/Page.aspx?nid=275

You can't have livestock (goats included) unless your property is at least 20,000 sq ft and you have written consent from all neighbors within 50 feet of your property line.

You need to buy up a few more lots!

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
  8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well, this isnt exactly "urban"(LOL, around 400 people) but we live on the edge of a small town. In the process of getting a couple of adult Nigerians for milk. No data yet as they arent here yet. But I say go for it.[​IMG] I think there is some sort of group I heard about the advocates having a goat or two in more populated areas? I believe with the way things are, more and more people will be looking into this possibility.

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wish we could! We would like to have a couple Nigerian Dwarfs for milk but in our city you have to have at least an acre to have a goat, and no boy goats allowed, even wethers.

10. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    I have a feeling that with'n the next few years, goats will be allowed as urban pets.. Because alot of people are going green ..
    Just a thought

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by