Anyone have Welsh crossed with swedish?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by heidihas2ducks, Oct 13, 2011.

1. heidihas2ducks

heidihas2ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I am interested in what a swedish/welsh cross will look like as I have A Black swedish (we think) and a Welsh Harlie drake that are most definitely making babies! LOL! Henry (the Swedish) just layed her first egg two days ago at 24 weeks old! I am not going to hatch any until spring but would love a picture if anyone has one?!!!

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:I cant wait to see some pics. I have welshies, but not any sweds.

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    If your Swedish duck is pure bred all the ducklings will be black, with bibs. If your Swedish is not pure you'll get some black and the rest could be just about anything. Should be a fun experiment. [​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    70%cocoa :

If your Swedish duck is pure bred all the ducklings will be black, with bibs. If your Swedish is not pure you'll get some black and the rest could be just about anything. Should be a fun experiment. [​IMG]

I saw her swedish, it is a pure bred black swedish. Very pretty bird!​

5. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    The thing about black is that it is a dominant colour. A bird can be black and look exactly like a Swedish but have only one dose of the black gene. If that is the cae, the black gene will be passed on to only half the offspring (who will be black) and not to the other half (who could be a range of colours). Pure Swedish will have two copies of the black gene and (in the case of black Swedish) all the offspring will be black. So it just depends on how many black colour genes the duck has [​IMG]

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I don't have any of those crossed, but I do have black swedish crossed with a khaki campbell. Some of the offspring were black with misshapen bibs. Some were chocolate in color, large white bibs, stripes on their heads, and white wingtips. I'll try to get a pic to post on here. It's raining and everything is a mess, but I'll still try [​IMG]

7. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, the Khaki Campbell would have introduced chocolate or brown dilution - a sex linked recessive gene. Was the Campbell the male or the female? If you had a pure Khaki male and a pure Black Swedish female you'd get black male offspring and chocolate female offspring (all should be with bibs). If it was the other way round and the Swedish was the male the result you got means that your male Swedish only has one dose of the black gene.

Would love to see photos [​IMG]

8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    The parents were female swedish and a male campbell. I ended up with brown females, black males, just like you said! And yes, all had bibs.
    I didn't have nay time to take pictures today like I had hoped, but I should have time tomorrow [​IMG]

9. 70%cocoa

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Learycow, with those two parents you'll always get babies you can sex at day old. The chocs will always be female and the black always male. Very handy [​IMG]

10. heidihas2ducks

heidihas2ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    70%cocoa :

My swedish was bought at an Agway and was supposed to be a blue...along with her two siblings, one who died on day two and the other who looked to be a rouen swed cross was killed by a hawk at 8 weeks. So Henry is quite possibly a cross though she is black with bib and actually has some bright blue wing feathers...(rouen genes perhaps?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the only way I will know if she is pure is if all of her babies feather out black? You are so knowledgeable...I could talk to you all day!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by